ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#41952 09/11/04 02:00 PM
A
AndyP Offline OP
Well I started my first day last Wednesday a three hour class. The instructor made us read out loud which was no big deal at all. I was shocked and surprised at how many people had trouble reading it was pretty bad. All in all, it's going to be a long road for me hehe.

#41953 09/11/04 02:15 PM
M
If you don't mind, what exactly are the details of the course you're taking?

I was an Apprenticeship Instructor for ABCI for 6 years. Your post jogged some funny memories for me, as making the class read aloud was usually a tactic used when a teacher didn't feel like actively teaching that day, and was just filling time. [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by MONOLITH (edited 09-11-2004).]

#41954 09/11/04 02:30 PM
A
AndyP Offline OP
I'm going to a school called Associates builders and contractors. Basically a four year deal I have to complete.

Electrical 1:

Electrical safety (12.5 Hours)
Hand Bending (7.5 Hours)
Fasteners and Anchors (5 Hours)
Electrical Theory One (7.5 Hours)
Electrical Theory Two (7.5 Hours)
Electrical Test Equipment (7.5)
Introduction to the NEC (2.5)
Raceways, Boxes and Fittings (12.5)
Conductors (15)
Introduction to Electrical Blueprints ( 7.5)
Wiring: Commercial and Industrial (15)
Wiring: Residential (15)

#41955 09/11/04 02:33 PM
M
Yep. ABCI = Associated Builders and Contractors.

I taught for them in Florida. I taught 1st and 2nd year. The very class you're taking.

Are you using the "wheels of learning" books?

#41956 09/11/04 06:22 PM
Wow, I taught for them in Indianapolis for eight years. I was so disappointed with the text "Wheels of Learning" and the level of understanding of the NEC that I had the students leave their Wheels of Learning home for the entire first semester and we studied the NEC. After that, we picked up the Wheels of Learning and the NEC together and we covered the entire book during the second semester.

I had complaints from several sources, one said I was teaching too much residential stuff, another said I was teaching too much commercial and industrial stuff, and yet another was complaining that I was teaching his future competition. I was told that I was about to lose my job until all the complaints landed in the same place. After comparing the complaints, they decided I was doing OK. [Linked Image]

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Charlie Eldridge, Indianapolis, Utility Power Guy

Charlie Eldridge, Indianapolis Utility Power Guy
#41957 09/11/04 07:21 PM
M
I hated the wheels of learning.

2nd year has this brutally long and boring section on various motor types.

Try getting a bunch of young kids, who worked all day, who can't wait to get home to their girlfriends, to sit thru a detailed explanation of the inner workings of a squirrel cage motor at 8pm.

I didn't know who would shoot me first, them, or myself.

I often disregarded the books altogether, and tried to give them more practical field teachings relevant to what they were doing at the time.

I really felt that any apprenticeship should have included a year on how to become a foreman...ie: how to build a job, run a crew, etc. Real practical, real world stuff.

That seems to be lacking from every apprenticeship curriculum I have seen.

#41958 09/11/04 07:42 PM
F
ABC is a top-shelf program. Charlie, did you teach at Gaylor U?

#41959 09/11/04 07:55 PM
M
"ABC is a top-shelf program"

Agreed. No argument here.

It's just the particular course books that could use a little tweaking, and those are not written by ABC.

Honestly, I have no doubts that ABC instructors, if motivated to come up with their own curriculum, could produce excellent course material that would be more up to date, practically relevant, and more interesting to the students, as opposed to relying on teachers to try to accomplish the same with lesser materials.

#41960 09/11/04 08:59 PM
A
AndyP Offline OP
I'm looking at the book right now and it's called CONTREN learning series. The nccer trainee guide. I wish the instructors were a little more lenient on tardies. Some of us live about an hour away unlike them who probably live 15 minutes away lol. I hate traffic but it's reality and if there's an accident I'm screwed. Not to mention driving in snowy conditions, plus we have a job too lol.

#41961 09/12/04 01:47 AM
Fred, I taught a lot of Gaylor people but never taught at Gaylor U. I helped teach a class on motors at the Gaylor facility one time and I have and am teaching for the Indiana Electric League. [Linked Image]

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Charlie Eldridge, Indianapolis, Utility Power Guy

Charlie Eldridge, Indianapolis Utility Power Guy
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard