ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 255 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
E
e57 Offline OP
We have a DC electrical service with, one bad leg. Looking to replace the conductors. My question is, as I have limited experiance with DC, what type of PPE would be required to cut, and reconnect this service live?

Or is that just a dumb question?

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
I
I am sorry I can not answer your question surly someone here can, but I did want to say that it is not a dumb question.

Pat yourself on the back for asking questions about safety. [Linked Image] I only had to deal with a DC service once and the unknown made me very nervous. [Linked Image]

Bob

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
D
I design a lot of DC power plants. What voltage and power levels are you talking about?

E
e57 Offline OP
100A -150A 240VDC Thanks!!!

Mark Heller
P
Why do you have to do this live? Is this so important an installation that you will risk getting blinded, burnt, killed?
One thing I know about DC is that it has no neutral point, so that means you would be cutting it at full amperage.
Would it be possible to attach a temporary bypass around the damaged section you wish to cut out?
~Peter

B
Should not a lot different than an AC circuit of similar ratings.

Can you deenergize the source to work on it? Obviously, a DC voltmeter/indicator would be used to check for dead.

E
e57 Offline OP
It's a customer owned U/G service lateral prior to the disco, the utility won't drop the area, of course, or re-pull it. We are trying to get them to cut, and re-connect. But, "P" stands for premidona, in PG&E, (Our POCO, actually SF County Hetch Hechy, but they maintain it.)so they may cut, and not re-connect. (Or vise versa.)Leaving our customer without an elevator.
----------------------------------
I can kill it at Zero Amps, by killing the disco, as it already is, but the voltage in a Christy box, leaning in a hole is what I worry about. Reaching in an live 240/480VAC street box, doesn't bother me. I know the risk, and the protection level for it. With DC, I have always worked dead, and locked out.

[This message has been edited by e57 (edited 09-11-2004).]

Mark Heller
R
I agree, this is not a dumb question.

If the situation can not be made safe then it may be a job you don't want.

I know that is easier to say than do.

From someone who was burnt in an arc blast, I will say, living without scars and going home healthy is whats important.

We work a lot of hot situations in hospitals, but if the situation is to precarious, a "SHUTDOWN" will be scheduled for late night, early morning, holiday, etc... regardless of inconvenience or expense.

I'm sorry I don't have any real info on your original question.

Roger

E
e57 Offline OP
Hey Bjarney, Thanks!

00 gloves are rated for 500VAC/750VDC

Mark Heller
C
OK, I have to ask. What is the application for this DC service? And DC services in general.

Peter

Peter
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard