ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#41822 09/10/04 08:07 AM
M
mhasel Offline OP
Hi,

Just curious if there are any special tools or tricks to cutting the metallic core version of liquid tight conduit?

Thanks,
Mike

C
I use the cordless sawzall-or just a sharp hacksaw blade. Just hold the LT against the fence of the saw and keep even pressure. the fitting style will cover any burr with the thread in ferrule. Keep your cut straight

R
The last contractor I worked for had a Panasonic 15.6v saw. The saw worked really well when the blade was new. It didn't grab the metal at the end of the cut like cutting by hand does. The smell of burning/melting plastic was the only bad side effect, but it didn't last very long. Otherwise, a hacksaw with a 32 tpi blade, holding the sealtight as close and solid as possible to the cut.

I
If I have it out for cutting pipe anyway I like a portable band saw, fast and neat.

I do not bother getting it out for one or two cuts.

Bob

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
E
e57 Offline
I bother to get the band saw out for 1 or 2 cuts on liquid tight. Or, I make the same helper who always wrecks my hack saw blade do it.

I just wish the made a smaller cordless band saw, that would be hip!

Or if they made better metal cutting blades for the circular saws, that don't cost $50 ea.

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
S
If I'm in a hurry, I cut the plastic jacket with a knife then bend the inner flex until it breaks, then cut the metal with my dykes. a little straightening and your ready to go.

M
mhasel Offline OP
Thanks everyone, this is just a new material for me and I was looking for any good tips and I wanted to make sure there wasn't a specific cutter like they make for BX conduit.

Mike

B
See the low-tech but useful “RV-1” at www.benfielddirect.com I think it will handle up to 1¼-inch liquititte flex.

C
CRM Offline
Tin snips do a good job.

J
Especially for the smaller sizes:
Bend it until the inner coil separates and the jacket tears. Then, using Kleins' flex shears, cut the coil. If the coil has been bent slightly out-of-round, use the shears to restore the shape- or cut another link.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard