ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
I use a Roto-Flex cutter a lot at my job in industry. Score the plastic jacket with a knife then turn the crank on the cutter. Clean cut, no burrs and the fitting goes on easy. They are only good for up to 1' though.

B
In the fine print for metal-liquidtite flex, one brand warned against cutting with an abrasive-grit “chop saw.” One of my earlier employers {two-man shop} found out firsthand what a gooey mess it made.

B
I work at a generation facility and worked at a chemical plant before this, that being said, I have never run across a specific tool for cutting liquid tite flex.

I have always used the "score, bend and snip" method. Just score the plastic withe a knife, then bend it til the metal flex separates, Cut it with your dykes and viola, your flex is ready to go. If you are careful about it you get a very nice end. (Note: you need to have a good pair of cutters. I have tried the Sears brands and they don't seem to do a very good job. The cutting edge is to steep.)

With a little practice you can actually cut it faster this way than with a saw. And it is easier on a ladder than a saw.

Now, mind you, this only works with the smaller sizes. Once you get over about 2" you have a very hard time bending the metal part enough for it to separate. Then a hacksaw and a vise (or other method to stabilize) is needed. I have had power saws grab the thin metal and mess it up pretty well.

And, lets face it, you get over 4" and you can't really call it "flexable" anymore anyway. [Linked Image]

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard