ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 559 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
What is interesting to me is that in the early 1950s, we complained about the cheap Japanese products. They were junk and cheep and we complained about their cheep labor that was competing with us. Later, the Japanese visited Western Electric, picked up on their Zero Defects program, and took it home with them. They now are known for extremely high quality products and compete with each other instead of against our products. The Koreans have entered the market and were know for junk but are coming up in the world of quality. Now the Japanese are complaining about the cheep labor in Korea.

What goes around comes around. China and India is next.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Charlie Eldridge, Indianapolis, Utility Power Guy

Charlie Eldridge, Indianapolis Utility Power Guy
... BAD NEWS....
...It was only a matter of time that our last great American tool manufacturer bit the dust.I'm disgusted...the quality is no doubt going to suffer,as well as workmanship and materials.They will probably start using all-plastic planetary gears,and an inferior casing which will be given to cracks if you lay the tool down carelessly...This really stinks!!!
Russ

.."if it ain't fixed,don't break it...call a Licensed Electrician"
R
I want to ask what is the problem with the disconnectable cords?

In the tool inventory we probably have more than 100 Milwaukee tools with the quick disconnects and every job gets spare cords for replacement use.

The company safety policy will not allow us to use a tool with any damage and we can not put on replacement cord caps. The quick disconnects save us from sending the tool to a repair facility.

Hey iwire. Thanks for the welcome.

I just had a bad experience with a faulty connection in the quick disconnect. I was forced to replace the cord even though there wasn't any visual physical damage. A hardwired cord would not have the quick disconnect weak link, and would only need to be replaced if there was actual visual physical damage. A hardwired cord replacement is a quick and easy job, that doesn't necessatate a professional installation by a repair facility. So, to me, the quick disconnect cord presents a physical weakness, or vulnerability, not a benefit in the least.

[This message has been edited by royta (edited 09-13-2004).]

I
A hardwired cord replacement is a quick and easy job, that doesn't necessatate a professional installation by a repair facility.

On my own tools I agree. [Linked Image]

On the company tools we are not allowed by the company safety policy to fix them ourselves.

Same with extension cords if the cord gets damaged we through them out no replacement cord caps.

Of course at my house I may have one or two of these high quality cords with a new cord cap. [Linked Image]

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
R
Okay, I understand. I've never worked for a shop so large that there actually was a safety policy. [Linked Image]

I
Well it is kind of funny, they tell us we are very talented and highly qualified, we do some very technical jobs.

But then go to change the cord on a power tool, NO WAY you can't do that your not qualified. [Linked Image] Ah, OK I will send it out.

One word... Lawyers

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
D
DougW Offline OP
Doesn't Milwaukee / Ryobi make a sawzall with a hard-wired cord? IIRC, mine has one...

(Not a super sawzall... just a regular one)

R
Yes DougW, it must be double insulated, as it does not have a ground on the cord. Before Milwaukee confused everybody by releasing 3 or 4 different Sawzall models, there used to be only one Sawzall available. It was hardwired and also had a ground. Maybe I should look into a non-Milwaukee brand of recipricating saw. Or, I could wait until Milwaukee releases the "Most Supreme of all Sawzalls, or any other recipricating saw for that matter Sawzall" and buy it. After all, a Sawzall that weighs as much as my Hole Hawg can't be bad. [Linked Image]

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard