ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
D
Dano04 Offline OP
I am new to this site. I will tell you a few things about me. I am in the US Air Force stationed in Germany. I have been in this Career Field for about 5 years. i am trying to find out the easiet way to get my electrical and/or contractor license for Tennessee and Indiana. I was wondering if anybody could help. It would be hard to attend classes to get them. I am looking forward to learn allot from here.

Thanks for all the help you can give?

Dan
USAF
Electrical Journeyman
D
[This message has been edited by Dallas (edited 09-05-2004).]

D
edit

D
I'm from Indiana, and I'll tell you there is no state-wide licensing for Electricians and or Contractors (much to some of our dismay). Lots of local city licenses around the state, and Indianapolis/Marion County does require the Contractor to hold a Master's License, and the Master's test is from a nationally rcognized electrician testing organization (Block). Some local gov's recognise the license, and some don't.

The union (IBEW) does have their own method of recognizing Apprentice, Journeyman, and Foreman levels, and those could be considered state-wide, but Indy/Marion County only recognizes the License they issue.

The requirements for the test are 5 years verifiable experience or recognized apprenticeship time, $100 fee to take the test, proof of liability insurance, and a $20K surety bond forthe city/county.

The test was about 8 hrs long, and was 2/3 Code and 1/3 math. I have heard that it had been updated recently and was decidedly harder than when I took it.

So depending on where you might settle in Indiana, you might not need a license at all, or you might need the Indy Master's License.

Dallas

D
Dano04 Offline OP
Thanks for the Info. I really apprciate it.

Dan
USAF
Electrical Journeyman
D
Oh, come on now, a guy ought to be able to delete his own screwed up posts [Linked Image]

See?

E
e57 Offline
Dano04,

I too entered the trade through the military, (Marines) and dare I say it the training was good for the type of work we did. (Industrial, and Airfields, etc.) However, getting out I realized that alot was lacking in light commercial and residential. (Communications too.) Not to mention the business end of it all.

I was lucky to get out, and come across a former Navy Electrician, who took me under his wing to show me those ends of it all. And, without being discouraging, I should advise that maybe you should find the market you would like to work in, and work for someone else for a little bit, and LEARN EVERYTHING YOU CAN, from them before going it alone. (On thier dime, of course.) That way, you can round out your experiance, for the civilian market, and aclimate yourself to life after seperation from the military.

And, not that I like the type of work myself, but you may want to get a job with a "Service" company. (Going and doing troubleshooting and repair type work, small installation, etc.) The driving, and sometimes late hours can be a hassle, but you'll get alot of hands on, in various situations, with alot of customer contact, very quickly.

I wish you the best, and stick around this forum for while, alot to learn here too.

Mark Heller

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
D
I worked with a guy a while back who was fresh from shipboard with the Navy. He was pretty lost when it came to commercial work. I'll bet he was a whiz running GRC though. Trust a large company to send him into work he had little experience with, instead of a number of industrial jobs they had at the time. He picked up what we were doing fairly quickly, and thought bending EMT was fun.

D
Dano04 Offline OP
we do Exterior side, Airfields, We also do allot of residential and commerccial type work in the Air Force. I would just like to get my license for a self improvment for my Performance reports that we get every year. I Plan on building my own house to when I retire.

Thanks for all the input.

Dan
USAF
Electrical Journeyman
E
e57 Offline
Have you thought of TAD to Base Maint. if you're not all ready? I picked a lot that way.

But as far as a License goes, and studying for one, there are a few Authors of books for the Journeyman, and Master Licenses of most all states available. So you could study while deployed, and come back ready for a test.

This is just one... (Of many out there.)
http://www.mikeholt.com/examprep.php?id=examprepgeneral

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason

Link Copied to Clipboard