ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 525 guests, and 30 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
You sound like you've got your most important assets covered...Your attitude and your willingness.
Who knows, The knee may hurt less as time goes on. There's no sense in trying to deceive anybody with hiding a limp. You won't ever feel good about lying, and of course someone will notice anyway.

Nearly 20 yrs ago, I broke my ankle into 6 pieces & imped for years (It still takes a dump on me once in a while.)
If I had let it stop me, and not continued with the trade, I would have gotten much more pain out of missing what I love to do than I've ever gotten from the injury.

Take every precaution you can to work safely, and use all the proper safety gear.
It's not "cool" or "manly" to beat the heck out of yourself like some of us dummies thought in the old days.
Now you've got Repetetive Stress Syndrome We used to have My &*%#* Wrist Hurts Again
Good Luck [Linked Image]

B
BrianSD Offline OP
Thanks a lot guys for the tips and encouragement. Like I said, work is going very well and I feel like I've finally found my niche. I'm still waiting to get into the apprenticeship, but I've established a good reputation with my current company, so maybe I'll end up staying with them and taking the Journeyman test in a few years. Either way, I'll achieve my goal of becoming a Journeyman. ...and I feel like my body will hold up fine. I'm keeping up with the kids on the crew, and then some, so its looking good for me. Glad you guys talked me through my doubts a few months ago!
Brian.

M
Brian,
You will find out that the electrical trade is one of the broadest fields out there. Do not let anyone tell you that just because you have an injury or a limp that the electrical trade is not a good choice.

I have been in the trade over 27 years and I know a lot of one arm electricians and I know a lot of electricians who have been able to hold down a job with some pretty severe injuries and that can work circles around some healthy guys. They may get assigned a different task but it all needs to be done..I even know a few split tails that can make you think twice about this being a mans job!

It would be very scary to think that I was not able to do all the things I want to do and worry that I may not be able to tow the line like I used to in the good ol days, but everybody faces that at one time or another.

You are only limited by what you are willing to do and all you need is an opportunity.

I know electricians who are terrified of heights, clostophobic, afraid of working underground or afraid of flying. As an electrician you may be subjected to a lot of abuse..maybe even hit the road someday and be willing to get on that silver bird and risk your life to make a buck or two. I used to fly to work in a float plane in Alaska to a remote fish hatchery for $20 an hour and two weeks on and one week off! I thought it was fun, somedays I wasnt sure if i was coming back or not...but i made it and i am glad i did it..

There are electricians heading over to Iraq and Afghanistan who may be afraid to die but they go anyway.

Some days you may be pulling wire down in a manhole and have a couple hundred gallons of puke gush out in your face or you may have to work 60 feet in the air ty-wrapping cable in a cable tray when it is 45 below, or running pipe off some I-beam glazed over with ice..then again you could be terminating a control panel inside the building or you may be an electrical designer drawing everything on AutoCad or doing a hundred other different jobs all of which none require you to ever come near a ladder.

Yes it is good to have the ability to do it all but in reality nobody does it all all the time..just find what your good at and what you LIKE to do..that is the key..have fun and be happy..life is too short to hate what you do...you have to love electrical work or you will not do good work..

You sound like a good candidate for the trade. I say bow up get in there and become a sponge for information, get a code book and a handbook everytime it comes out and read every page..you will eventually find your spot..

dont let anyone tell you you cant be an electrician..or an engineer or whatever you want to be...just remember there are not many trades out there that come close to the electrical trade..it is a profession you can be proud of and the best part is once you learn it nobody can take that away from you..even if your writing with a pencil hanging out of your mouth with one eye you can still be a valuable asset..

the electrical trade gets the most respect out in the field..

just remember...electricity has no respect for ignorance..that means any kind of ignorance..

hang in there and let us know how things are a year from now..

-regards

Mustang

[This message has been edited by mustangelectric (edited 11-05-2004).]

B
BrianSD Offline OP
Thanks Mustang. I'll be around... There really is a wealth of information here, and plenty of people happy to help.
Brian.

B
BrianSD Offline OP
"hang in there and let us know how things are a year from now..

-regards
Mustang"

Heya' Mustang!
Well, its been a year and want to check back and let you all know how its going.

I've gotten into the apprenticeship and started classes. For the interview I brought "letters of reccomendation" from my Journeyman, Forman and Company President!
I think that was pretty helpfull getting in ;-)

I've been busting my azz and learning a LOT! Haven't missed a day in over a year. I've worked with a half-dozen Formen and they are glad to have me there and thank me for a good job when I leave.

About my knee, I've learned what types of motions irritate it, and avoid those like the plague. It gets a little sore occasionally but it is mostly fine.

Also, now I know guys with bum knees, backs and whatever else. I also see the Co Pres scheduling them extra help, because they are appreciated, and he wants to help keep them healthy.

So guys, a sincere thanks, for taking the time to offer encouragement when I had my doubts. I love this trade and am proud to be an electrician. [Linked Image]

Brian.

L
LK Offline
Good to hear you are doing well, stop in to chat.

Mon 9:00 EST till ?
Wed 9:00 EST till ?
Fri 9:00 EST till ?

LK

Brian,
Welcome back, mate!.
Can I ask what caused the injury in the first place?.
I have to agree with Electure though, your attitude is in the right place.
From a guy that had to learn to walk again after serious burns a few years back, I know what you are up against.
Don't hide it mate, it's like being too fat around pretty women, you can suck in your chest all you like, sooner or later you'll let go.
At the end of the day, who really cares, as long as you can do the work.
Work on that mate. [Linked Image]

G
Brian,
REAL glad to hear everything is going OK, sounds like you got the world by the tail, bud.

Knees happen, backs happen, you TRY to look out for the guys on injured reserve. I've got both and take a bit of teasing from the gang on occasion.

Example: A few days ago, my boss (who's known me a long time) yelled out the door, "Hey George, I need you to run over to look at X" One of the 'pups' we've got around here, stuck his head in the office and said, "Hey Al, George has 2 gears, amble and stroll and when he REALLY gets excited, he'll break into a mosey, but RUN ain't in the cards"

Hee hee, funny kid.... they AIN'T finding the corpse.

Sometimes the folks who have to work a "tad" slower have more value than a fireball. Enjoy

R
If you really like electrical work and you have health problems that knock you out of doing the heavy work there are alternatives.

I know several guys that ended up with bad backs, knees, and shoulders who went into drafting, engineering, and PLC programming. As you have read in previous posts an Electicians mind is his greatest assett.

Keep your mind sharp and you can be doing electrical related work until well after the legal retirement age. That is if you can keep up with the N.E.C. changes and technology. [Linked Image]

B
BrianSD Offline OP
Thanks again for the welcome fellas'.

Hey Trumpy,
Sorry to hear about your burns. I sincerely hope you have made a good recovery. I know burns are a horrible experience to have to endure. I wrote a college paper once on burn treatment, and just reading about the ordeal made me queezy. I can't imagine having to go through that...

You ask what I originally did to my knee... When I was 16, 22 years ago, I crashed my bicycle and popped my ACL (anterior cruciate ligament). Back then reconstructive surgery was a huge ordeal, and pretty much reserved for professional athletes. Ofcourse I have kept skiing, surfing and whatever else, and reinjuring it, due to it's no-ACL-having, less-than-normal-stability. So now its a little banged up and loose because I still have no ACL. ACL reconstruction is now out, because its too loose, causing a new ligament to just stretch or snap. Basically, I need to be very careful how I move so I don't let it wiggle too much and cause an injury. Like I said though, on the job I've learned exactly what not to do, so I can avoid those actions. Hope this isn't TMI, but you ask ;-)

rad74ss, thats a great suggestion, moving on to a less physical specialty. I was stoked to find out that all my apprenticeship classes will count as college credit. I already have all my lower division work done, so I'll be a lot of the way towards an EE degree at the end of my apprenticeship. Thats something I'd really like to get in the future. Maybe my knee will help nudge me in that direction. pun... [Linked Image]

Anyway, thanks again guys. Will be talking to ya'
Brian.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard