ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 481 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
You're also at least a little 'self-aware'... if you detect that you're intimidated, you at least know that there's potentially a dragon in front of you to joust with. Just stay the course, as it were, and you'll cover a lot of ground in due time.

One way to think of it is that if the school is 5 years... you'll spend 5 years adding to your knowledge and experience and hopefully gain something that will help support the next level of achievement. If you don't invest the next 5 (or x number of) years doing so, the time will pass all the same and you'll end up 5 years older without the knowledge and experience.

L
4 years isn't too bad at all. Here in NYC, its 5 years of classes and you also take college classes to get an associates degree. And it takes 5 and half years to become a journeyman.

S
More power to you Andy! You can do it! If you ever want a shot of motivation, just check out some of Joe Salimandos writings on the inevitable electrician shortage the country is headed for. You can find his archives in Tedmag.com. Good stuff. It has truly been a rewarding career for me and have never regretted it. Ya gotta luv it tho! Remember, you get out what you put in. We are always learning and never know it all. When you are green you grow, when you are ripe, you rot!

Steve

Andy,
I commend you for taking on an Apprenticeship in the first place. [Linked Image]
I'm not willing to "stand on" anyone here, I've done 2 of them, the first as an Electrician and the second as a Lineman.
No one is saying for a second that an Apprenticeship is an easy thing to go through, but ahh, the spoils at the end of it!.
And as an Apprenticed, Fully Qualified Electrician, your chances of getting employment around the place are a lot better.
Naturally, if hired somewhere, the first question will be, "where did you serve your time?."
At the same time, use the time that you have in Night School to your advantage, it is of more use to you than any book that you will ever read, it's right there, if you don't understand something, ask!.
I've had a few Apprentices under me in the past and one thing that doesn't wear well with me, is a lack of basic Electrical Theory, it's essential for Fault-finding and also Installation work, regardless of how good your Mechanical skills are.
Suck it up while you can.
Just as a note, even though I'm doing mostly High Voltage stuff these days, I never fail to keep up with the Low Voltage and Electronics developments in the Trade these days, to not do that, would mean I would be eventually left behind and I don't want that to happen.
Best of Luck, Andy!!. [Linked Image]

G
Andy,
Good Luck!!!! After 33 years..... it's STILL intimidating in spots, don't figure it will ever change, at least, I hope it doesn't, keeps it kinda interesting.

Echo the "first years are the toughest/best/most rewarding" theory, the foundation for what you will be you are laying now.

SO PAY ATTENTION!!!!!

Lotsa truth in the mechanical aptitude remark, guys that are all thumbs we make foreman/supervisors/inspectors..... uh, hey wait a minute.... STRIKE that last remark [Linked Image]

Good luck

J
Hey andy ,
Have u been accepted as a union apprentice?
I am at the interview process right now. I passed the aptitude test in Dec. How was the interview? My understanding is that alot of contractors like to hire apprentices because of the relatively low pay.

G
Hey Andy;

I am an electrical contractor. I've been in the field for 25 years. I have two guys that work for me. Both started "green" with no experience or school. One is getting ready to take his test, and the other is not far behind him. The best advice that I have given my guys is that no one has ever been born with the knowledge of electrical work. We all started from square one just as you are. Don't let it overwhelm you! With a good teacher in class and out in the field, you will do just fine. Take your time and learn everything you can. One last thing I was told years ago by an instructor..."what we do is very dangerous, always know what you are doing; never guess what you are doing." I am quite sure you will do just fine. I have found that the best electricians are the people that have a "drive" to learn. That's how I picked the two guys that work for me!

N
Boy Andy,
Did your question bring back memories. I started my apprenticeship in 66 at a brewery job. Was very intimidating. My first duty was to clean the stock room. Imagine having to find a place for things that you have no idea what they are for or how they are related. Then the journeyman asked me to go to the stock room for some 8/32 screws. Well, the stockroom was on the other side of the plant so I figured I had about ten minutes to find someone with a friendly face that could show me what an 8/32 screw was. Thats how green I was. About the only thing I knew in those days was that I wanted to marry a certain girl and this apprenticeship would help me do it. It is now 38 years later and I've enjoyed the electrical field immensely. Still married to that girl and still doing electrical service. Have been in my own business for twenty years, trained a son-in-law and now have my Godson and nephew in the apprenticeship program. I teach electrical code part time. Its been good. As the years go by your confidence builds and before long your one of the best. Good luck to you and may you always be working for contractors that will cover all the bases. The years will go by very quickly and it won't be long before you are laying the jobs out all alone. You'll love it.
Ron

B
Good luck on the endevors! Check this site out...it has FREE exams for electricians to practice on before taking the official ones...
http://www.mikeholt.com/examprep.php?id=exampreponlinejourneyman

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard