ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#4098 09/09/01 07:54 PM
A
amp-man Offline OP
Hey y'all,

Just did a job replacing flourescent lights in a kitchen with can (recessed) lights.

These are IC-rated housings (Junos). Because of the layout, two of the housings were installed snug against a joist. Also I used the Arlington black plastic button Romex clamps rather than metal clamps.

I figured that if the cans are safe to bury in insulation, it doesn't matter if they're up against a joist. What do you think?

Also, a guy at my supply house made the comment that the thermal cutoffs for cans are unnecessary now because of a change in the way insulation is made (the guy claimed that insulation used to have a trace of oil in it). He said that he's known electricians who bypassed the thermal cutoff if the fixture was routinely cutting off...
The whole line seemed like bull to me. Anyone who'd bypass a thermal cutoff seems to be putting the residents at risk from fire. Any comments?

#4099 09/09/01 08:21 PM
S
Myself i've about had it up to my eyeballs with supply house guru's, most of which know all about our trade but do not practice it in the field.

they remind me of the old addage, some people work harder at avoiding work than working itself.

#4100 09/09/01 09:17 PM
R
It seems that 410-66(a)(2) provides approval for your installation.
As far as bypassing a thermal safety device, it is not only un-ethical, it borders on criminal!

#4101 09/09/01 11:53 PM
N
bypassing a thermal overload is like putting a penney in an old fuse holder dumb-dangerous-stupid. any electrician who does so deserves to lose his/her license.

ed
#4102 09/23/01 11:46 AM
D
First of all DO NOT bypass the thermal the Juno IC rated can is UL listed as an assembly and under no circumstances should be removed or altered. In answer to the second Question (can this fixture be installed in direct contact with combustible materials)(the Joist). Yes if it is a Juno IC rated Air-Loc ready style recessed no other Juno recessed fixtures are allowed within 1/2 in. to combustibles.

Work smarter not harder [Linked Image]

| )ubli| |

Link Copied to Clipboard