ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 271 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
I was recently doing some rewiring to install dedicated circuits for networked Computer equipment. I was looking for a certain breaker (should have been marked) to turn off approx 5 duplex receptacles which had 2 Computer/Monitor/UPS systems and 1 Adding Machine.
After going through every breaker 3 times and following wiring (visible entire length) I found that it was already on it's own Breaker. We finally found that after the breaker for that circuit was turned off, it took 5 - 10 seconds for the voltage to go down! After unplugging the small UPS unit I immediately tested the prongs on the plug and found that somewhere around 110v was being backfed through the plug! and into the receptacle!

Has anyone had a similar experience?

Bill
N
ns Offline
I would say it's against (Canadian) standards to have the energy available after it was disconnected. Obviously, this UPS is defective.
Check the bi-national standard for ITE (UL1950/CSA 950) for the proper provision/s.

ns,

I agree that it is defective and have removed it from service. My reasons for asking were:

1. I was wondering if Backfeeding was a common result of some particular component failure within the UPS. If so, (it was an older unit) have newer units been equipped with some provision to prevent this from happening?

2. And should the UPS units within a facility be suspected and tested as part of a search for unexplained power quality fluctuations?

Bill
Bill,
That sounds down-right dangerous, having a male plug with live pins, have you seen any similar such cases since you first posted this topic? [Linked Image]

Trumpy,

Boy, this is an old one!
No, I haven't seen anything like that again. I was meaning to have someone look at it and think I still have the unit on a shelf somewhere. I know one person that could probably tell me why and will try to get it to him as I am still curious about it. I'll post back here if I can get an answer.

Bill

Bill
P
Bill,
You mentioned this was an older UPS. Is it a type which actually used a relay to switch the output from AC line to inverter power?

If so, then perhaps there was a mechanical failure in the relay which left all contacts shorted.

T
Do you have the brand name and model available? I wonder if the product was ever recalled.

TG,

I went to look for it and it didn't see it.
It might be gone by now. If I ever get to Spring Cleaning it may pop up and I'll let you all know.

Bill

Bill
T
OK, let's all check back in 2006 [Linked Image]

posted 10-14-2000

Bill,
Sorry, if I scared you with that one!.
I was going through a few of the older ECN
postings, makes good reading too!. [Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard