ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
A
AC Offline OP
I'm starting to see GFCI protected extension cords being sold.

That seems like a pretty good idea, but on the other hand, I've haven't know non-GFCI extension cords to be a major problem. What do you think of these GFCI protected cords?

AC

AC
R
AC, these have been around for a good number of years.

These cords are a good way to meet OSHA requirements on jobs where receptacles are not GFCI protected, i.e. renovations where the building receptacles are still in service.

Roger

D
I was on a site where we were taking power from a sewer lift station, and running extension cords around ditches with water, and later over open concrete floors and a metal roof. It needed GFCI protection.

Dave

I
If you are in construction you are required to be protected by GFCIs and as Roger said one way to comply is with GFCI cords, we usually use a 18" to 24" GFCI cord that we plug the long cords into.

Here are some quotes from a Leviton pdf.

GFCI Protection: A must on the job site
Nowhere is GFCI protection more needed than on construction, renovation and demolition job sites. There is a wide variety of power tools with easily damaged flexible power cords, plus the likelihood of damp and wet conditions. Both OSHA and the NEC require GFCI protection for all temporary and permanent power systems used on these job sites.

OSHA (Occupational Safety and Health Administration) Regulation 29 CFR 1926.404(b) Branch Circuits—
(1) Ground-fault protection - (i) General
“The employer shall use either ground fault circuit interrupters as specified in paragraph (b)(1)(ii) of this section or an assured equipment grounding conductor program as specified in paragraph (b)(1)(iii) of this section to protect employees on construction sites. These requirements are in addition to any other requirements for equipment grounding conductors.”

GFCI Cordsets Must Have Open-Neutral Protection Open-Neutral Protection immediately trips the GFCI if the neutral conductor on the line side is opened. This eliminates the possibility of the GFCI Cordset delivering power to the load if
the GFCI cannot trip in the event of a ground fault. Open Neutral Protection requires the addition of special components to the standard GFCI circuitry. Permanently-wired GFCI receptacles do not require this feature because their line-side conductors are not exposed to physical damage. In all temporary power situations, where flexible cord feeds the line side of a GFCI, there is always the risk of an open-neutral condition. Therefore, UL requires open-neutral protection for all Class A GFCI cordsets.

If you get an OSHA inspection at your construction site and you are not using GFCIs you will very likely receive a large fine.

Bob

[This message has been edited by iwire (edited 08-05-2004).]

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts

Link Copied to Clipboard