ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 235 guests, and 27 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
E
e57 Offline
Joe, or a bare #14! Melts right through with the same method.

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
D
Dave55 Offline OP
Thanks guys. I got booted off the job for an hour yesterday, so I went tool shopping and got the Panasonic. All I have to say is...Baby, where have you been all my life! Quick, quiet and much less burr than the reciprosaw...hardly enough of a burr to even mention. I don't care for the way it talks to me though.

Dave

R
You might be allowed to use a tubing cutter with EMT, but I'll never do it. My dad's a plumbing contractor, so I've cut a lot of copper with a tubing cutter in my day. It not only leaves a burr, but it also bends (tapers) the pipe inward slightly. Obviously no big deal with plumbing, but with EMT, I feel this can catch on the wire. You can remove the burr, but you'd have to flare the pipe end just a bit in order to straighten the pipe to the profile it once was.

For 1/2" and 3/4" EMT, I use my Lenox Hackmaster with a 32TPI blade, and I ream the 1/2" with my Klein needle nose pliers, and the 3/4" with my Kleins. I stick the pliers in the EMT to ream the inside, and use the recess on the backside of the cutter to clean up the outside. Yes, it's a two part process, but geez, I've got too many tools in the bags as it is. With IMC or RMC, I use a Ridgid pipe cutter, but I also use a Ridgid reamer to deburr.

I did have a bad experience with a hacksaw though. I was cutting a piece of 1/2", and I had a 24 or 20 TPI blade in there. The blade bounced along on the EMT, and ended up coming down on the top of my finger right before a full stroke. Well, I stopped quick so it was only a 1/2 stroke at best, but it still opened up the top of my knuckle.

[This message has been edited by royta (edited 09-17-2004).]

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard