ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#40706 08/02/04 12:09 AM
E
e57 Offline OP
Anyone do any Leviton DHC Programing?

Have a customer with some controls that don't work, or may never have worked, as the contractor who built the house went belly up. This along with some really messy code violation type work, have left the new owner with some issues to take care of.

I have the programming (house and address) codes, but some still don't work. It's not a system I work with normally, and was wondering if anyone has any advise other than replacement.

Most of the ones installed could have easilly been a simple 3-way switch. Whatever happened to doing just that?

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
#40707 08/09/04 09:27 PM
H
I have done some programming of these things. It was not fun. Still better than pulling wire in a 100degree attic though.

First of all there is an integral control box used by the installer. There is NO MENTION of this device in any of the included literature. My guess is that they are discouraging the homeowner from installing these themselves, thus generating more business for us, the electricians.

OR, it could be that the instructions are written by DUI offenders as community service.

Anyway, I had to buy this programming box. It doesn't get used much, but it's there. I also had to buy a signal amplifier to boost the signal according to the phone techs. It seemed to help. Odd thing is that it taps off INSIDE the main or subpanel. The city inspector said-
"What's that thing? Get that outta there." But unless you're going to wire an additional feeder, there's no other way to do it.

Now for the helpful part. Call the 1-800 Leviton tech guys as frequently as you need to. Tell them you are an installer.

Good luck my son.
Halligan

#40708 08/10/04 05:57 PM
I have installed a few of these devices, and always install a coupler/ repeater, which couples the phases and amplifies the signal. Some thing to look for is any moisture, or water damage, as the units are mini- microprocessers, and are not water friendly. They are also easily damaged by lightning, and surges on the lines.

#40709 08/10/04 07:03 PM
S
To further emphasize the previous posters, you have to have the coupler/repeater that mounts in the breaker panel. It transfers the PLC signal from one leg to the 240 to the other. Without it, devices on the opposite leg are going to get very little signal, and are likely to not work correctly.

I note that you need to double-pole breaker to mount the repeater, as it (obviously) connects to both legs. I believe that either 15 or 20 amps is OK (consult the instructions, of course).

#40710 08/10/04 07:23 PM
E
e57 Offline OP
Hey a big hardy thanks to all! Got them working today. Apparently this coupler was disconnected in the panel to make way for something a while back, threw it on another breaker, all done. (after looking in 5 panels to find it!)Then programming the rest.

Not the most versitile system is it!? Seems to work well for what it can do, but limited...

Who ever wired the joint only brought a hot and neutral to each location. ( all that was required, but now they're stuck with this, or something simular for the rest of time. Most of these were installed in medium size rooms that a simple 3-way could have handled. For that matter, some of the scene controls were in the same box with the dimmers. Other than the "all on", and "all off" they were useless.

Mark Heller
#40711 08/10/04 09:25 PM
H
Not very versatile where I worked on them. More money than brains was kinda the driving force behind the owner choosing them. Something to show off at cocktail parties.
They had me program one scene that had 50% dimmed lights in their kitchen cabinets to highlight their crystal wine glasses.
Ooh la la!
One place I worked at did use them well for a theatre type setup. There were a few lighting scenes that were good for if one person was watching TV and another person was reading a book. They had lots of combinations of lights, so they needed a way to simpify it instead of a 10 gang box of unmarked toggle switches.

Glad you figured out your install.

[This message has been edited by Haligan (edited 08-14-2004).]

#40712 08/10/04 11:26 PM
E
e57 Offline OP
Oh this wasn't an install, this was recovery from an abandoned / unfinished job!

Our normal auto-mation type stuff is Homeworks and Radio RA. The later I'm not fond of either. The Leviton stuff seems to be a good concept on X-10 type stuff, but is lacking in some major ways.

As for impressing people at cocktail parties... Grafic Eye and Homeworks...
"Hey watch this, I can panic all the lights from my cell phone!" Too bad they forgot the how to shut it off, came in the next day it was like disco!

Mark Heller

Link Copied to Clipboard