ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#40516 07/23/04 07:35 AM
The night before last, one of our jobs (a new BMW dealership) got hit by the thieves.

They got in the bins/containers, and cleaned out all the subcontractor's tools. We lost about $7K in the tools that were onsite.
The %*&#@s also got all the wire that we had onsite (fortunately just a little before the big stuff for the feeders and the Super Tugger went out to the job).

Plumbers, HVAC, Fire Sprinks, Steel Workers...they didn't miss any of the trades.
They even took shovels!!
(The last time this happened, there was a Security Guard in a trailer. The thieves stole his bicycle, which was chained to his trailer. So much for that idea)

The moral of the story:
Keep as little as you can onsite.

S
Off with thier heads i say!

steal a man's tools, and you steal his means of making a living.

the misreable wretch should be shown no mercy

this is why black market tools should be boycotted aross the board.

~S~

Thats bad news,Scott,...hope your stuff was insured... [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Russ

.."if it ain't fixed,don't break it...call a Licensed Electrician"
I'm getting ready to weld some "disc" locks on my workvan... People are just $^^%@#$;'brainless sometimes! [Linked Image from click-smilies.de]

-Randy

D
Sorry to hear it. It's getting to the point where micro-cameras after hours are as essential as lineman's pliers during work...

Lotzahell:
For what it's worth, the disc locks, or all the other tricks I have seen only deter the guy who's truck it is from getting in & out quick, or the quick grab n' run theives.

Saw a plumbing van, disc locks on cabm side & rear at body shop. THey still emptied it out.....used a cordless sheetmetal nibbler & cut the side panel out!!

John

John
E
e57 Offline
It's like plauge... Sorry to hear 'bout it.

As for chopping the head off... Chop off the hands first!

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
N
If you chop off their hand(s) then they have to be fed for the rest of their miserable existence,my vote is for the establishment of the "Michael Fay Educational Institute" more commonly known as the caning rack,if you did not know who Michael Fay is he was the kid who got his butt beat in Singapore.

N
For tool thieves maybe the old british navy punishment of flogging should be used.
You can't insure everything to full value, so any theft comes outof you pocket
I am looking for the jerk that stole my 32' ladder off my van.

ed
B
Trying for physical security on a larger job site is pretty much impossible. They open the right box the hard way first and then they have torches or power saws or whatever they need. If it's too heavy, there are cranes, loaders, and forklifts available. Usually a couple of trucks so they don't have to risk anything of their own. a dedicated crook will find a way. As much as you can just don't leave anything on a job site and hope they don't follow you home.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard