ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 287 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
M
Is there a standard or formula for calculating the size and depth of a concrete base for Parking Lot Lighting? In other words a certain size pole in a certain geographical area need a base so many inches in diameter at a depth of so many feet with so many feet exposed.

Thanks, Mark

B
I suspect that is a local building code issue. The standard pole spec is to withstand 70 mph wind load. There are standard formulas to figure out what that would be in terms of a moment at the base but, if there is no code, an engineer would have to sign off on the actual base. We had some trouble here. Our building was designed by the Corps of Engineers. We needed to modify some exterior lighting due to a new runway being constructed the other side of our common fence with the airport. The specs called for 100 mph poles and the contractor had lots of problems finding anything that met those specs. Oh,well, the city wanted the runway so they paid for all our changes.

E
Let the engineers do the math. It depends on the height of the pole, the weight of the pole, the wind speed anticipated, the wind resistance of the pole, the soil characteristics, and the water table and the likelyhood of flooding.

Earl
G
Talk to a pole manufacturer and they should be able to tell you what you need.

MV:
I have excellent results from RUUD Lighting.
THey have EPA wind load info and fixture/pole EPA data in catalog.
Also, Application Engineering is very, very helpful.

ALL of their poles come with anchor bolts, template, and base specs. If you have an unusual situation, they provide base engineering specs with rebar spec'd out also.

John

John
I 2nd John's suggestion of Ruud.

......They sent me a big coffee cake......

Besides that they're a very good company to work with, for the reasons John gave.
(I'd suggest them even if it was just a donut) [Linked Image]

Electure:
I really don't like 'plugging' a mfg on Bill's bandwidth, but...if anyone deserves a plug, it's them. Heck with the 'kringle', but boy it's good!!!

When they say "customer service" they really mean it. Compared to 'other lighting mfgs' who really don't give EC's the time of day, my business goes to them!!

Have a great day.

John

John
G
We set 18 40' steel poles today. Each pole had a triple yoke on top for 3 1000w MH floods. I wouldn't even venture a guess about the wind load on that arrangement. The bases were built as specified. I wouldn't want to guess on something like this.

BTW the installation went very smooth. The crane operator was good and followed directions well, which always helps.

Link Copied to Clipboard