ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 235 guests, and 27 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#40454 07/22/04 05:52 PM
Tom:
Here in NJ the AHJ's are Lic by the State, and we can either work for a third party agency, or for a municipality, or the State

We have to take the tests, pass them, and go to CE seminars (min of 3 days) to renew our Lic. If we are an 'administrator (Sub-Code), that requires additional 2 days of CE.

NJ recently started Lic of Home Inspectors (about time). I do not know all of the specifics, so I won't comment at this time.

Yes, we do have some 'multi-hat' guys, I know one who is Elec, Fire, Plumb and Building, and I guess he's good at it.

BTW, EC's here need 34 hours of CE every reneval also (3 year cycle)

The above is for informational purposes only, not intended to start a firestorm, or ruffle anyone's feathers

John

John
#40455 07/25/04 11:34 AM
Tom Offline
John,

One of the few good things that came aloong with Inspector licensing in WV is the requirement for CE. Looks to be about 30 actual classroom hours every 3 years, which I think is very reasonsable.

Unfortunately, there is no such requirement for electricians or contractors(yet). Thanks to the previous state fire marshal (Walter Smittle who is now sticking his nose into the AFCI debate), 40% of the elctricians in this state have never passed an exam & were grandfathered in.

Glad to see that the Garden State has their house in order.

Tom

Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example.
#40456 07/25/04 03:47 PM
E
Here in CT, we have the first (and still only?) program run by the state to educate building inspectors of all kinds. I have the honor and responsibility of being one of the instructors. We give a 47 day course of study, soup to nuts, of what an inspector needs to know. In the years to come, I believe CT will have the best informed inspectors in the country. Our program is open to anyone who can show 5 years experience in construction.
Other than our program, all building inspectors have to be licensed by the state. They have to pass a test to get that license.
Home inspectors are also licensed in CT, but their qualifications and licensing are done by another department.
All inspectors (home and building) are required to complete CEUs in CT, as are licensed electricians and plumbers starting next year.

Earl
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard