ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#40424 07/20/04 12:23 AM
A
aldav53 Offline OP
The 200 amp SQ-D panel I'm working with in a home is full. I need to add about 5-120v circuits and 2-240v out to a new attached garage. I could pull the singles and add twins but some inspectors don't like a lot of twin breakers. I will add a 100 amp sub-panel in the garage feeding it with a 100a breaker (which I'll have to add 4 twins to make room) but think this will be better. Also, will adding the 100a panel be a problem with loading the 200a panel?
Thanks for any input.

The Golden Rule - "The man with the gold makes the rule"
C
Is this loadcenter listed for twin breakers? If so the inspector shouldn't have a problem with it.

The only way to determine if the 200 amp loadcenter can take the additional load is to do load calcs.

Curt Swartz
A
aldav53 Offline OP
Don't think there is a listing. There are twins that will fit in the panel. I will do a load calc and check the amp draw under normal usage too.

C
There should be a label on the inside of the box that shows what type of breakers can be used in each position. Do you have the catalog number of the loadcenter?

Curt Swartz
E
Just because they make tandem breakers that fit doesn't mean you should use them. One sure way to tell is if there will be more than 42 (40 in most) poles/breakers, then the panel is not meant to have tandems. You may have a 30/40 panel that can have 10 tandems, but it sounds like you may run over that. You may need to add the sub panel in the garage and another sub next to the main panel.

I have argued on this board that the 42 circuit limit is ridiculous and 1 or 2 tandems should be allowed, but you sound like you need a lot more than 1 or 2. Also, it may be a code violation, depending on your panel.

E
Not only is there the 42 NEC limit, but each panel has a limit. Look at the fine print inside the can.
If your 200 amp panel already has 42 full spaces, then your other alternative is to do a load study of each branch circuit, and combine those that you can.

Earl
A
aldav53 Offline OP
Electric Eagle,
What would the extra sub-panel next to the main panel be for? A disconnect beaker? I would need a way to tap the buss.

S
The subpanel next to the main panel is for the circuits that are displaced for the feeder connections. If the main panel is full, you need to move four poles to the subpanel, freeing four poles in the main panel. Then, two of those poles feed the new subpanel, and the other two feed the remote subpanel with all the new circuits.

You can, of course, also put some of the new circuits on the subpanel next to the main panel.

A
aldav53 Offline OP
SolarPowered, Got it, that makes sense.

A
aldav53 Offline OP
If you are not allowed to add twins to a 42 circuit panel, then why could you add a sub-panel?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard