ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 373 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
I
Peter

I didn't know you could judge the quality of an electrician's work depending on if they are wearing shorts or pants. Give me a break.

Of course I can not tell how they perform the job, but do not fool yourself into thinking first impressions are not important.

Maybe you are different maybe you do not at first judge a book by it's cover, IMO most of the world does.

If I get a new person on the job and their tool bag and tools look like they where all just purchased I wonder if they know what they are doing. Fair?, not really, they may have been ripped off and had to get new tools.

If a I get a new person on the job and I see the car they drive also looks like they live in it (it's happened) I tend to think loser that will not last long.

Am I always right? Heck no! A guy that started with us 5 or 6 years ago I did not think would last more than a month, he seemed very likely to punch a supervisor right in the face. [Linked Image] Maybe me!

I was wrong, he is now one of my good friends. [Linked Image]

My point is first impressions mean a lot, especially to customers that already feel like you are taking them to the cleaners. [Linked Image]

Bob

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
E
e57 Offline
I just fell in love with my pants again...

I got a few pairs of these a few weeks ago.
They have built in knee pads, and a velcro holder for a small tool pouch.
http://www.skillers.com/cgi-bin/sto...40fcd22e13266f39&L=eng&P=5696-85

Check out the tool vest too.

(They also make shorts....)

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
I didn't mean literally that wearing short pants would lead to green hair, but anyone that thinks that impressions made early on don't count is only fooling themselves.

The reasons that our company has the long pants - shirts with arms - work boots rules are for safety. Many GC's will not let you on a jobsite dressed any other way. (we have had guys in shorts...working in Palm Springs when it's been 110°-120°)
I personally like the extra layer of protection that clothing affords me.

I think that the way you dress depends upon where you're working. If you're out on a little resi job by yourself, then it's one thing, but I personally wouldn't walk into a company's corporate offices in shorts, a tank top, a Tutu, or a pair of sandals.

(I did, however, know a dump truck driver that wore nothing but a "G-string" all day a few summers ago...and he hasn't lived it down yet) [Linked Image]

I
Scott let me be the first to say YUCK about that truck driver.

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
C
Bob,

I agree, first impression do matter. But as you pointed out with your examples, sometimes appearances are deceiving. Yes, we do live in a "judge a book by its cover" world, and more often than not, someone's appearance gives a lot on insight into their work practices.

Consider this: 2 guys, equally qualified: one is wearing a clean shirt (with no printing) tucked into Carhartt shorts. The other is wearing dirty jeans and a "Budweiser" t shirt. It's hard to say who the "better" electrician is, wouldn't you say?

Myself, if company policies say "No shorts allowed" then I'm not wearing them. However, if given a choice, I will wear shorts, weather permitting of course.

As far as that driver goes, it sounds like he was trying a little too hard to emulate Tommy Lee. Gross!

Peter

Peter
G
To hijack things just a bit,what really makes me scratch my head is seeing folks (anyone) wearing shorts and a COAT.

I've never quite understood the logic behind that one. [Linked Image]

B
OK, I do that all the time. I overheat easily at temps where most people are comfortable. If it is 20 degrees out and I will be inside a building, especially if ceiling work is involved (heat rises!), I'll wear shorts and a coat and gloves for the little bit when I'm outside. A hat usually keeps you warmer than long pants.

D
It was about 90 degrees and very high humidity today (windshield-wipers on most of the way to work without rain). I wore shorts. I changed my shirt three times and took my breaks in the truck with the A.C. on. Some of the asphalt crew had their shirts off...nobody cared.

It's not just about comfort. I need to bring my body temperature down. Have you ever been in a hot attic too long and had chills? (Shorts with knee pads work great). Forget the appearance issue and stay safe. Wear less clothing and drink a lot of water.

Dave

M
Geee, must be nice to be able to wear shorts at work. Inside in a plant, there is no choice but to wear pants, I'll have to give the PPE requirement approach a try we have been trying to get our boss to spring for uniforms since we have so much gunk we have to crawl around in all the time.

There are some jobs where wearing shorts would be nice, but what if comes to mind. Like fropped panels, loose wires, cable ends, etc. I have scars on my legs from when I was wearing long pants, hate to think what would have happened with shorts on.

RYAN-Tatoo? in Utah? my how the tongues must wag about you, especially in light of your fondness for mead!

R
the issue here is not wether you feel comfortable in shorts. its a question of ppe. the new nfpa 70 e standards are very clear on what is acceptable when working on electrical panels, disc's, etc. having 100% cotton shirts and long pants, hard hat, safety glasses, are a start. but, the newest standards are more stringent than that. for example if your testing and then working on a deenergized 240v equip:fire rated coveralls or smock with arc face shield and gloves are required. the attitude of " it wont happen to me" is like playing with a hand gernade.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard