ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 525 guests, and 25 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
B
I wear long pants when: 1. It is below 32 degrees and 2. The job requires it - safety or arbitrary rules. Oops, forgot 3. Funerals.
Yes, I do wear shorts to church otherwise. I think long pants are unnecessarily confining. Shorts and knee pads cover most situations I encounter.
Spring skiing in shorts and a t shirt is one of the great joys of life.

S
I live in the real world and people including myself start making judgments based only on appearances.

that's just the way the service industry is, like it or not. we haven't even ventured into a clean shave or (Gawd forbid) our choice of vernacular have we?

~S~

Z
We ALL LIVE in the real world!

Shoot first, apologize later.....maybe
I once again agree with Bob.
I revert to my comments in other threads about green hair and pierced tongues. It's hard to take somebody seriously when they look like they're from Mars.

I've ripped quite a few pairs of Levis with things like panel covers. If I'd have been wearing shorts, I would have ripped quite a few pairs of LEGS. (And we could wear shorts year-round in this climate)...S

J
I respect your opinion but people in shorts look like they are from Mars? In your neck of the woods you must be pretty used to Martians by now. I don't think wearing shorts means a quick progression to green hair and piercings.

[This message has been edited by Jeff N (edited 07-19-2004).]

R
I forgot to add...Not only do I wear shorts at work, both on residential and commercial jobs, but I also have a nce big tattoo right on my left calf [Linked Image]

Ryan Jackson,
Salt Lake City
I
I will have to concede it must depend on location. [Linked Image]

Here on the jobs I work anyone with shorts would look more out of place then a Martian. [Linked Image]

We require along with the GCs we work for.

Long Pants

Work boots

Sleeves, they can be short but must be present, in other words your arm pits must not show. [Linked Image]

As a project super I am supposed to send anyone without that home.

Also we provide hardhats and safety glasses.

And the office really wants us to wear gloves, they provide us with nice fingerless Kevlar gloves.

Ryan, seriously I would have to ask you to come back with pants to do your inspections, I will provide hardhat and safety glasses for visitors but I do not stock extra pants. [Linked Image]

But I have never seen an inspector show up in shorts, sneakers yes and I had to tell them to come back with boots. [Linked Image]

Bob

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
C
I know you are a talented electrician and I know Ryan is a good inspector, but that is because I got to know you without seeing you. If I saw you guys in your shorts before getting to know you I would tend to think you are less professional then either of you certainly seem to be around here.

I didn't know you could judge the quality of an electrician's work depending on if they are wearing shorts or pants. [Linked Image] Give me a break.

Yes, I wear shorts. In attics too.

[This message has been edited by CTwireman (edited 07-19-2004).]

Peter
F
While I rarely wear shorts on the jobsite, most other trades do. I think it all depends on the condition of the work clothes. Around here, east-central Indiana, a lot of "professional" people wear shorts on the job in the summer. UPS drivers wear shorts May-October. The city Police here have the option in the summer. Some cops do, some don't, some do and really shouldn't but they have the option. The guys at REMC have the option, depending on what jobs they are doing. I've seen them wearing shorts, trench an underground, put on coveralls and climb a pole to tap the transformer, come down and shuck the coveralls, load up and go to the next job. But I'm talking about shorts, not cut-offs or gym trunks. On the new house job today all the carpenters were wearing Carhart work shorts and so were the roofers. I wasn't offended one bit. I have worked with some drywall hangers who looked like ZZ Top after a 3 week drug/alcohol binge and it wouldn't matter what they wore, unless it was body bags, they just looked bad.

S
I don't think wearing shorts means a quick progression to green hair and piercings.

hmmm...kinda like mothers milk leads to heroin? gotta think on that one ....

alrighty then....

there's nothing left to do but start a "best dressed 'lectrician" thread right outta this mess....

would you let this in your door??

[Linked Image from msnusers.com]

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard