ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 381 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
I
Ryan you would no doubt look really cute. [Linked Image]

Are they cut short like Richard Simmons?

I would not be laughing at all. [Linked Image]

If you got past the GCs trailer with shorts on in the first place. [Linked Image]

Bob

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
J
If I'm in an accident and the doc comes in to the ER in a TUTU I really don't care! The banker in shorts - big deal. Do you stay away from offices on casual Fridays beacause somehow the staff is not as efficient when they do not have a tie on? Certainly wear what YOU want (or are required to) but I find judging someones skills by whether you can see their knees or not a little odd. I went to a college that required sports coats and ties and believe me one can look very slovenly in a coat and tie.

[This message has been edited by Jeff N (edited 07-18-2004).]

W

Would you be impressed if your banker, butcher or doctor wore shorts.

Would you think that they are professional?

So, you're impressed by clothes??. I'm impressed by the quality of someones work not the way he/she are dressed.

If someone is comfortable, don't you believe that could be a reason for better, safer work. Why are most trucking companies putting AC in trucks or cruise control??

I
It is not so much I am impressed with certain clothes as much as I am unimpressed with other clothes.

I live in the real world and people including myself start making judgments based only on appearances.

I know you are a talented electrician and I know Ryan is a good inspector, but that is because I got to know you without seeing you. If I saw you guys in your shorts before getting to know you I would tend to think you are less professional then either of you certainly seem to be around here.

Yes the company truck is air conditioned, this is not for my comfort, this is so I do not look (and smell [Linked Image]) like a sweaty mess when I arrive at the customer.

It is all personal opinion and those of you that can and want to wear shorts good for you.

I will never be seen on the clock in shorts.

We also do not allow tank tops but that is another thread. [Linked Image]

Bob

[This message has been edited by iwire (edited 07-18-2004).]

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
It's 91°F right now... I'm wearing shorts if I get a call... I've never had a problem impressing people with mind & skill... If what's on the outside matters more than the mind that's going to put your installation in, well..... You guys have seen the pictures I've sent in... [Linked Image]

-Randy

W
I agree about first impressions, clothes can make a good one or a bad one based on first impressions. After that its worthless. I can show you plenty of oil company employees who are dressed to the 9s and ain't worth a bucket of spit. I also can show you slobs that are equal in value. Either way, the clothes don't fool me.

Its not a stretch to believe comfort on the job would result in better, safer work. I can guarentee trucking companies who buy thousands of trucks at a time have figured that out or the extra cost of AC would not used on their trucks. Makes sense doesn't it?

G
In my mind (small place)it comes down to several issues,not the least of which is the "over 40 crowd" When I first entered the trade,NOBODY wore shorts,you'd be laughed off the job. Homeowners are a little more tolerant now.

I see a few of the younger guys on some of the bigger resi. crews wearing shorts,99% of them Knee-length.work boots,and tall socks.But not many guys who do service work here wear them.

You don't see shorts on commercial jobs here either.

People in warmer climates with long hot summers would be more prone to wear them I expect. I will confess I tried them while on a job in Fla. a few years ago. It was so dang hot and muggy there,I couldn't tell much difference. [Linked Image]

I did see some guys in an HVAC install crew show uo on a commercial job last year,October to be exact,and the temp was about 45 deg.or so and the wind was blowing. The were all wearing shorts...and COATS. [Linked Image] The GC sent them packing,and walked by me muttering about someone having a screw loose. [Linked Image]

Russell

T
twh Offline
People in warmer climates with long hot summers would be more prone to wear them I expect.

I agree. There are some places where everyone wears shorts, even bankers. Around here, if my helper showed up in shorts, I would be choked, both warm days. It's more of an issue to get them to bring warm clothes.

J
I think it depends on the site. I am just starting a school in south Jersey and everybody is wearing shorts, masons, EC, door guys. The company policy where I work says no shorts, but there have been exceptions made. I was in Jacksonville, FL a few weeks ago and there was no way I was wearing jeans when it was 90 with 90% humidity all the time, and my project manager OK'd this. I understand the point of first impressions but if you appearence is otherwise neat I don't see it as an issue. I will show up on a site with my Carhartt shorts and a company polo shirt and look neater than most of the other guys on the site.

J
The original thread was about shorts. But as far as other items mentioned I would like to address them. Sandals... No safety issue, Tank tops... I have been known to wear the sleeveless athletic kind with hemmed sleeves, not a cut off Tee on a residential rough with no custoners around...Hawaiian shirt - Hmmm I am the boss and a Hawaiian shirt day at the end of the summer might not be a bad idea!
On another note lets leave iwire's real world for a minute and vist a possible one. iwire is on the job waiting for his inspection and Ryan J pulls in to inspect (in his shorts). do you
A. Tell him he looks unproffessional right
then.
B. Wait untill he finds a possible
infraction then tell him.
C. Tell him on the way out (assuming you
will never have him for an inspector
again).
D. Make nice nice let him finish his inspection, thank him for his time, and on his way out bid him a good day.

I bet we all choose D [Linked Image]

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard