ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
2 members (Scott35, gfretwell), 533 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
S
Edward, i would have to disagree a little bit with that statement. i wear neat clean shorts that fit neatly come to about my knee or just above. they are much more professional looking than the jeans that are worn by 2 of the other guys in our shop , they are ripped and the torn spots are frayed and as a general rule they stained up and look to be in rough shape. we all have red T-shirts that are embroidered in our company logo and name and our names. clean shaven (when i dont have poison ivy) and short hair are also a part of my appearance. So I feel it isnt necessarly what is worn but how. As for the osha or safety aspect, im not sure. I usually wear boots or heavy/tennis hiker shoes. if it is a commercial industrial job then it is always jeans and steel toe boots.

G
I wear shorts as often as possible.

Many of the large GC's are cracking down and won't allow it on their jobsites.

D
OSHA addressed this, but I can't get to it (Damn Firewalls)

1993- 06/30/1993

Federal Register 58:35076-35306

Somebody let me know what it says!

P
Nope, I don't think I've ever worn shorts out on a job, but then the British climate has quite a lot to do with that!

I certainly couldn't imagine crawling through an attic in shorts, no matter how hot up there.

W
I wear shorts all the time when its warm enough. More comfortable means more work done in the course of the day.

I
i would have to disagree a little bit with that statement. i wear neat clean shorts that fit neatly come to about my knee or just above. they are much more professional looking than the jeans that are worn by 2 of the other guys in our shop

Would you be impressed if your banker, butcher or doctor wore shorts.

Would you think that they are professional?

The company I work for and the GCs we get our work from would never allow shorts. Or ripped and shredded long pants for that matter.

Personally I have a hard time taking other workers seriously if they are wearing shorts.

Why not wear sandals and a Hawaiian shirt? [Linked Image]

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
E
Took forever to get there and read it, but here is the OSHA webpage link: http://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadisp.show_document?p_table=FEDERAL_REGISTER&p_id=13309

In short, OSHA requires protective clothing (PPE) only when the worker may be exposed to some hazard. Shorts on construction projects are not automatically forbidden by OSHA, just as short sleeves are not automatically banned.

This quote is interesting:

V. "Protective clothing and equipment"

Employees should be provided with and be required to wear appropriate protective clothing wherever there is significant potential for skin contact with liquid EtO or EtO-containing solutions. Protective clothing shall include impermeable coveralls or similar full-body work clothing, gloves, and head coverings, as appropriate to protect areas of the body which may come in contact with liquid EtO or EtO-containing solutions.

Employers should ascertain that the protective garments are impermeable to EtO. Permeable clothing, including items made of rubber, and leather shoes should not be allowed to become contaminated with liquid EtO. If permeable clothing does become contaminated, it should be immediately removed, while the employer is under an emergency deluge shower. If leather footwear or other leather garments become wet from EtO they should be discarded and not be worn again, because leather absorbs EtO and holds it against the skin.

Any protective clothing that has been damaged or is otherwise found to be defective should be repaired or replaced. Clean protective clothing should be provided to the employee as necessary to assure employee protection. Whenever impermeable clothing becomes wet with liquid EtO, it should be washed down with water before being removed by the employee. Employees are also required to wear splash-proof safety goggles where there is any possibility of EtO contacting the eyes.

This was typical of the many hazards OSHA identified. What interested me was the fact that OSHA required the employer to provide and maintain any protective gear required. So, if your contractor requires long pants for safety reasons, then he can buy them and launder them for you. But, if he calls it a dress code, then you are on your own. He can't use OSHA as the reason.

Earl
E
New thread name, "Clothes snobs". [Linked Image]

S
Would you think that they are professional?

great bottom line iwire

~S~
btw~ i wear black co T's , they show the dirt/cobwebs/etc less...

R
I wear shorts every day that I can. As soon as it hits 60 degrees I wear them and I don't put them away until November!

Ryan Jackson,
Salt Lake City
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard