ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Applicant Please Note:
The purpose of an inspection report is to provide the client with a better understanding of the property conditions. The Board of Technical Registration has adopted Standards of Professional Practice for
Arizona Home Inspectors (available on the Board web site or upon request) to set the guidelines for reporting that will provide this understanding.

As defined in the Standards, “observe” is the act of making a visual examination of a system or component and reporting on its condition. Therefore, all items observed should be referenced in a home inspection report.

Each submitted report will be evaluated for compliance with the following criteria:

1. observation and description of observed systems and components

2. explanation of adverse conditions and recommendations for remedies (such as “review by qualified professional,” “service by qualified professional,” “correction by qualified professional”)

These criteria will apply to all systems and components that are applicable to the property inspected, as set forth in the Standards of Professional Practice for Arizona Home Inspectors, and in the Rules of the
Arizona State Board of Technical Registration from the Arizona Administrative Code, Title 4, Chapter 30.

[Linked Image from nachi.org]

So if you "touch"are you violating the law?

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
P
This is interesting, as they have chosen to spell it out for the local jurisdiction. As to 'breaking' the law, I am not sure it is considered a law ("Standards of Professional Practice"), or a policy.
But ...
I consider it a problem as an inspector to open and look at electrical work if the owner or company representative is not there to perform the opening themselves, for at least two reasons.
1. Who is to say that something they installed was not 'disturbed' during the process of inspection?
2. What about OSHA requirements for energized work, if in fact the work being inspected (at the time of inspection, the work usually is energized)is energized?

Pierre

Pierre Belarge
Thread-jacked Message:

While backing out a screw on a sub panel cover today (I hadn't taken either the sub-panel cover or the service panel cover off yet), a "boom" noise occurred with plenty of sparks inside the sub-panel. A double-pole 60 amp breaker labeled "Furnace" had tripped. My guess is that a hot wire was in contact with the panel cover screw and that it shorted out. Glad I'm alive.

I left a note for the seller explaining what happened, and not to reset the breaker, and to have an electrician evaluate and repair, and to call me and discuss. The seller called and expects me to arrange and pay for all and any repairs.

Any thoughts?

Who's at fault?

Anyway,

I am in trouble with Mother Hen, so be it but I still believe that any HI should fall under 70E Category 1 as far as electrical safety is concerned, anyone who disagrees should think about the issues raised here.

Looking for input to propose rules that would make it mandatory for a HI to be considered where safety is important.

Many think that they will not get hurt!

I
Do you have any evidence of HIs getting hurt on the job by electricity?

If you do you could try to change the rules.

I believe if the HI is an employee they are covered by 70E.

That said enforcement would be imposable.

Bob

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
Old proverb. When you find yourself in a hole, stop digging.

Wood work but can't!

Link Copied to Clipboard