ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
C
There is currently a thread involving device push style connectors. Related to this, how many of you out there are using stab-in style wire connectors and had them fail? So far, I've had one fail. This was an extremely frustrating experience as I spent 45 minutes going through a list of possible issues until I realized that it had to be the connector and it was!!! I've never had a traditional wire nut connection fail me. I'm hoping that this sort of failure is rare, anyone else out there experience failures with this sort of connector?

S
I've been using the Ideal brand lately to wire fluorescent light ballasts and to date haven't had any failures. I've used them in over 100 fixtures. But, that's all I've used the for, I don't trust them enough yet to use them anywhere else. I figure a fluorescent light ballast is the safest place in the building to test them, also easiest to find and access if there is a problem.
Don't you imagine if this forum had been around a few years ago when electricians started using those new fangled wire nuts instead of solder there would have been this same discussion.

[This message has been edited by SteveMc (edited 07-06-2004).]

S
imo, the load is a factor in method of connection..

so are callbacks....

~S~

I
I agree with Steve, I will use these push-in connectors for low amperage connections like a ballast, I have no faith in them what so ever for 16 to 20 amps of load that gets cycled on and off.

IMO after a certain amount of heating and cooling the spring tension will be lost.

But I am not complaining, job security in a box. [Linked Image]

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
S
Ever since I went back to work with my former employer I have been using the wagos. I never bought them when I was self employed because I could only get half as much wire connectors for the same price.

I must say that I have grown to love them. I have not had any problems with wagos. Except for the occational wire that was not fully inserted.

They are twice as fast, they fold inside of a j-box or gutter better. It's easy to add a wire. It's easier to take a wire out. They are good for pre-fab receptacles and switches with pigtails already on.

the trick with stranded wire is to insert a solid wire first to loosen or expand the spring and then take it out and put the tightly twisted stranded wire in the same port. Works great.

I
the trick with stranded wire is to insert a solid wire first to loosen or expand the spring and then take it out and put the tightly twisted stranded wire in the same port. Works great.

Was this in the directions?

I really think this is ill advised.

Bob

[This message has been edited by iwire (edited 07-06-2004).]

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
T
Bob, you're absolutely right. Wagos (the standard ones) are explicitly _not_ rated for stranded wire. There are special connectors for stranded.
For the past 10 years Push-in connectors (both Wagos and switches/receptacles) have almost taken over the entire European market. I can't remember the last time I saw a new receptacle with screw terminals. Exceot for one case from Switzerland I never heard of such a device failing, not even under a constant 16A load @230V. Either the resistance at the connection is not as important an issue with 230V or those devices are simply better construction than the standard Home Desperate Push-and-pray types. I have no idea. Most electricians just seem to love them because it's much faster to wire them and they even claim the connection is _better_ than with screws because the copper tends to flow away under the pressure of the screw, whereas the spring will keep its tension.

P
I guess we're rather conservative in the U.K. and still tend to regard these sorts of connectors rather dubiously.

I've seen push-in terminals on items such as the trigger switch in power tools, but I still don't feel that comfortable with them.

Link Copied to Clipboard