ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 519 guests, and 18 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
E
e57 Offline OP
This particular gent is nearing 70, I assume. And, may have been sharp as a tack in earlier days. Now relegated to near-rural suburbia, after a career of inspecting work around a partical accelerator. Further south than the town that starts with a "B". (As I said before, I agreed with the customer not to disclose this the location of this job.)

The Boss and I, had a little pow wow about it, and we figure we have a solution. Use the spare he's so freaked about, for something... And, send the "Grayest and calmest head" in the company for the inspection. (The Boss) If a no fly after that... Next step, we have to get the customer involved in going to the city. After all this is costing her some mulla! Something that needs to be handled very delicately!

Joe - "Did he ever cite any rules?" NO! He wanted no part of it! Normally, I can have simple conversation with an Inspector, and discuss our opinions, come to an agreement. Sometimes I'll break out the book, if I think it was questionable in the first place, I'll have that page opened already. Sometimes we both learn something...

Bottom line: I'm gonna let the boss handle this. I think he can use some extra blood pressure. [Linked Image]

But, for the sake of disscussion, can anyone find these items unacceptable, or a a serious violation?

Bundled neutrals, and (seperately) bundled grounds in a panel?

Spare in a box in an attic, from the panel taped off and identified at the panel?

Unused conductor, in three wire?

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
E
This sounds quite different from the inspection I had today. I was at the site when the inspector showed up, barely finishing troubleshooting a bad 4 way switch. He walked in, looked around, turned on 1 light and a bath exhaust fan, looked at the labeling of the panel and signed the card. Oh, he did check 1 GFI, but other than that, he looked at nothing. I don't want an inspector picking the job apart, but at least look at something.

[This message has been edited by Electric Eagle (edited 06-29-2004).]

V
Put a recep on the wire in the attic

Break the tab on the microwave recep and split wire the circuit

Why waste any more time with this jerk

e57

Further South? Was it one on the following cities, especially Berkeley?

Initials: TT? CG?

Baker, CA

*Bakersfield, CA

Barstow, CA

Beaumont, CA

*Berkeley, CA

Buellton, CA

Burbank Airport, CA

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
S
e57, Broadmoor, Brisbane, Burlingame? I'm I getting close?

steve

Steve
Steve named the city I was talking about! Had to play the 'game' [Linked Image]

-Randy

E
e57 Offline OP
OK did I mention it did not start with a "B"! No, I didn't..... But there was a very clear hint, but odd hint above. (wait, its not that clear...) That could be found with a simple web search... Not that I want anyone finding this place.

velect,

That is exactly the plan as of now!
"Put a recep on the wire in the attic
Break the tab on the microwave recep and split wire the circuit"

Soon as I find the time to go back.... Might send somerone else!

I had a nightmare of a day, and may have a few more until some emegency lights, and automatic door closers get sorted out on another project. So this thing is on the back burner. I'm actually going to post one of the problems, as "Fire doors and Smoke detectors".

[This message has been edited by e57 (edited 07-01-2004).]

Mark Heller
S
Do you realize that if you break the tab on the microwave receptacle and do a split circuit. You will have to use a double pole breaker in the panel?

So if you turn one circuit off for servicing reasons the other circuit will turn off also.

E
e57 Offline OP
Yes, I do know about that..... Thanks! That 2 pole is on the dash of my truck, with new lables for the directory!

Mark Heller
H
John,

as for some of those "My way or the Highway" type AHJ's here in Northern NJ, well, we still have a few of them. One of them is in the next town over from me. He is one of the reasons I got my AHJ ;ic. This way when he failed me for stupid things, I could challenge him. This was many years ago, when I met Joe T. After talking to Joe, and explaining my frustration with Joe, he pushed me to get my HHS lic. I didn't think that I could do it, but with help and encourangment from Joe, I did it. I am not sure about other state but as John will tell you, in this state an AHJ will have to cite you "Chapter and Verse" where in the NEC you fail. Don't let an AHJ get away with a statement like, "You look it up." That won't cut it in our state.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard