ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 483 guests, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#39679 06/29/04 09:36 AM
D
Yeah Paul, but you guys get "Boxing day" off, don'tcha?

I always thought that was the day we tied in all the conductors at the panel ! [Linked Image]

#39680 06/29/04 09:45 AM
D
BTW: Courtesy of the US Government:

IV. DETERMINING THE DAY FOR OBSERVANCE OF THE HOLIDAY
The day set for an employee's observance of a holiday depends on the employee's tour of duty and the status of the day on which the holiday falls. Rules fixed by statute and executive order govern selection of the day.

A. Full-Time Employees. 1. If the legal holiday falls on a:
a. Scheduled Workday. The holiday is observed on that day. Employees who are relieved or prevented from working on the holiday are entitled to basic pay for the number of hours of the basic tour of duty they would have worked if the day had not been a holiday. Employees who are required to work on the holiday would be entitled to premium pay for the hours worked. This premium pay would be in addition to their basic pay.

b. Sunday Nonworkday. Employees observe the holiday on their next scheduled workday.

Here's the source - good luck w/your boss!:
Link messed up - sorry.

http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache [Linked Image]hzks-u_9EkJ:www.fsis.usda.gov/FOIA/notices/43-03.pdf+Federal+Holidays,+Observance&hl=en

[This message has been edited by DougW (edited 06-29-2004).]

#39681 06/29/04 06:35 PM
E
Whatever your choice you will never have that day back. Life is way to short to spend with pliers in your hand.

#39682 06/29/04 06:45 PM
As Electricmanscott said....life's short! Stop working about 7:00 PM Thursday, back on Tuesday AM. Oh yeah, my employees have a half day Fri & Mon off.

John

John
#39683 06/29/04 09:20 PM
I'm getting the 2nd of July off for Alice Springs show day..Next Friday, the people in Tennant Creek get a day (9th July)off for the show, Then as the show moves north to Katherine, the 16th of July is thier holiday to go to the show & finally Darwin has the 23rd off for the same thing. The holiday is only observed in the town that the show is on in for that day only. As for the Americans here in town, they usually have a get-together for the 4th of July celebrations

[This message has been edited by 32VAC (edited 07-01-2004).]

#39684 06/30/04 10:37 AM
S
Hotline1 - How is that working out for your company?

At my last job we put in about 70 - 80 hours a week on average, and I always thought that putting in your 40 hours by thursday, and taking a three or four day weekend every week would really help prevent burnout. Maybe have two crews, so you would always have employees available for service? Of course that was back when there was way to much work, not too much of that going on down here right now.

#39685 06/30/04 04:22 PM
SBW010
Two of my guys are available for emergency situations; part of the deal.

Usually it's the country clubs that have problems, mostly caused by poor planning.

Bless the era of cell phones. WE all take turns being available for weekend/nite/holiday duty, except for Christmas Eve & Day.

Scheduling on my part usually works out, but if need be, we can do 10-12 hr days. Like you said, it's not "crazy", just steady.

John

John
#39686 06/30/04 10:55 PM
J
My upper management just came back to all the techs that we will be working the 5th, which we all had planned on having off just like they have done in the past, holiday on a weekend you get off either Friday or Monday. All they really did is piss off everybody out in the field. I can assure you that the owner, VP, operations manager, etc will be sitting in their back yard putting back a few cold ones. Moral has been pretty low lately and this is putting a couple of us over the edge.

#39687 06/30/04 11:30 PM
E
We are working on the 5th. And as the owner of the company, I can assure you I won't be "sitting in my backyard putting back a few cold ones." I will be at work just like everyone else. The Holiday is Sunday, not Monday. The cookouts and fireworks will be on Sunday, not Monday. Why should someone get a paid day off just because a holiday has occurred? We give about 5 paid holidays a year, but only if the holiday falls on a workday. It cost alot more than the worker's wages to give a paid day off, you have to consider lost revenue, overhead, matching taxes, workman's comp(yes we pay comp on wages even if you aren't working) all in addition to your wages.

[This message has been edited by Electric Eagle (edited 06-30-2004).]

#39688 07/01/04 12:32 PM
S
Electric Eagle is definitely right about the extra costs of a paid holiday. It cost alot more than just someone's pay for 8 hours.

But, (My two cents)

A company's most valuable asset are its people. Especially in a service related business. Your employees are the face of your company that all of your customers see on a daily basis. If your employees are happy, everyone benefits. They will do better work, work harder, and they will be your salespeople. And if that means alot of cost for me to give them a day off, In some respects its worth it.

just my $0.02

Stan

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard