ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#39651 06/28/04 12:52 PM
S
sbw010 Offline OP
I'm wondering what everyone's technique to install floor outlet boxes for wood floors on sleepers?

I've done lots of installations without sleepers, and I would like to hear everyone's opinions.

thanks,
Stan

E
e57 Offline
On sleepers? Is the floor being raised for this?

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
E
What is under the sleepers? Concrete, steel or wood? How much clearance do you have?

Earl
S
sbw010 Offline OP
Its in a concrete foundation. The wood floor sits on top of 2x4's in a recess in the foundation. There will be 3.5 inches of clearance between the concrete and the bottom of the finished floor.

I was thinking about installing the floor boxes like I normally would (Just placing them in the concrete of the foundation, but i'm not sure if the boxes will be tall enough to reach the finished floor.

My other idea was to place conduit where it will be accessible in the recess once the foundation is poured, then pipe over to the boxes which I would mount directly on top of the concrete.

I would really like to hear everyone's opinion on this.

Stan

E
I would mount the boxes such that they will be flush with the finish floor. They do make a type of floor box for mounting in wood. I would fasten them to the sides of the sleepers, and pipe between, rather than have them under ths concrete.
Not to say there aren't better ideas out there.

Earl
J
I'm not sure I completely understand your set-up here, but how about hanging a 1900 bracket box off the sleepers with a 3/4" ring?

H
The only problem with all the ideas so far is that you have to be certain of the floor thickness (sub floor+finish floor) or you are screwed.

The better way to do this is to just cut a box in after the floor is finished. A buddy of mine uses boxes and covers from a company that I can't remember (gotta be one of the major mfgs). They have a special hole saw for recessing the cover into the wood floor. Works perfectly.

-Hal

S
the shop i work for specializes in log homes, everything is wood and most of it is finished and varnished we use 2 different types of floor recept in the application one is a carlon box and galv steel bracket. during rough in the wire is left coiled up and strapped to a sleeper or sub floor and the builders just drill a little hole and leave the wire stubbed up. we return on the finish and cut in the hole, mount the bracket/box adjust it to meet finished floor and install recept and cover. whole thing comes as a kit costs about 20 bucks at wholesale house ... i thingk the orange box store even has them. there are several from hubbell that work well also.

E
e57 Offline
I acn never remember who makes em... Steel City I think. (TB?)

Fully adjustable round floor rated outlet box. 2 1/2" high extra wide box, with an adjustable brass ring that comes up to the finished floor. Then a heavy brass cover. It's one of the few types we can use here.

Anyway, I usually put them in concrete, but it sound like you may be able to put one between the sub, and finish floor?

I found 'em! Warning these things are not cheap!
http://elec-cat.tnb.com/tnbcat/tnbcat/SCFB_home_page_dsp.build_catalog_home_page

Go to "floor boxes" - "Stamped Steel Floor Box Line for Use in Wood Floors"

There is a picture of excatly what you want to do! ( I think? )

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
Z
sbw010,- Just get some 1 gang masonary boxes and space them off the concrete enough so they are just below the finnished floor.
Or you can also use a deep 4" sq.deep box and the correct size plaster ring.

Shoot first, apologize later.....maybe
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard