ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 256 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#39647 06/27/04 04:51 PM
M
Merlin Offline OP
I recently inherited several tools from my great uncle who was an electrician for many years. One of the items was a ridgid 450 pipe vise.

My question is: toward the edge of the top of this tripod is a "threaded shaft" with a t-handle that threads up from the bottom. What is this used for?

Also, there are 3 holes that appear to be for bending pipe. Are these just for thinwall or how does this work.

Thanks for any input.

Kevin

#39648 06/27/04 05:14 PM
I
I have never tried the bending holes at least that's what I think they are for also.

The threaded bolt I have used a a hold down, I do not know if that is what it is for, but it works good.

Cut a piece of 3/4" or 1" rigid to fit between this bolt and the 'ceiling' (A beam, the metal decking of the above floor etc.) then tighten the bolt, it pushes the vice firmly to the floor. The bolt is off to the side enough to be out of the way.

Most times I do not do this, but occasionally I have and it keeps the vice from tipping when you have 10' of 2" GRC sticking out the back.

Bob

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
#39649 06/27/04 08:24 PM
M
Bingo-the screw is a hold down, and the holes are for bending ridgid pipe or IMC. The two slots are for hanging tools like a reamer or a pipe threader handle.

I have several of my grandfathers tools including some original Stillson wrenches with the wooden handles. Old tools are a real favorite of mine and I travel around to farm auctions here in the summer whenever I get a chance.

#39650 06/28/04 10:52 AM
B
The threaded shaft is so you can put a pipe vertically up to the ceiling, tighten it (extend it up) and this holds the vise in place (3/4" pipe is used, I think).

The other slots are used to bend a pipe slightly, maybe just take a dogleg out of an offset. You'll break the vise if you put too much pressure on it while bending a pipe.

Link Copied to Clipboard