ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 114 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#39496 06/22/04 01:03 AM
E
Edward Offline OP
Hello all.
Can i have a SO hard usage cord be droped from a 20foot ceiling with double duplex receptacles to be used as permenant power source for commercial washing machine?

Where is SO cord used as freely hanging from a ceiling? Ofcourse with proper cable grips.

Thank you
Edward

Thanks
Edward
B
I would say no. See 400-8 1999NEC

314.23(H) Pendant Boxes.

An enclosure supported by a pendant shall comply with 314.23(H)(1) or (2).

(1) Flexible Cord. A box shall be supported from a multiconductor cord or cable in an approved manner that protects the conductors against strain, such as a strain-relief connector threaded into a box with a hub.

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
E
Edward Offline OP
here is what am planning to do:
A 10-3 SO cord suspended from 20 foot ceiling and be used as a permenat installation.(with proper cord grips and strain relief connectors)

Am I in violation of NEC. I know i can not have the cord attached to the surface of the building.BUt i am suspending it from the ceiling.
Another option i have is to run unistrut from ground up and have a counduit straped to the unistrut.

Thank You
Edward

Thanks
Edward
B
It took advance negotiation with the AHJ, but I have used Appleton STB***SR- or STN***SR-series “basket-grip” liquidtight flexible-metal conduit connectors for (temporary/one-year) vertical-only spans where the bottom ends were non-anchored floor-elevation equipment.

Page 7-8 www.appletonelec.com/pdf/ST-2thru13.pdf [Hubbell and T&B also make ‘em.]

Here’s one consideration for article-400 wiring—in the case of flexible cord for “drop” duty, it is well worth avoiding the pervasive “commodity-grade” type-S** neoprene- or vinyl-jacketed cord. A lot of that stuff has embarrassingly {and litigiously} poor durability—used inside or out.

[This message has been edited by Bjarney (edited 06-22-2004).]

Edward:
Flexible cord code compliant uses, and NON-compliant uses are stated in NEC 400.7 (Uses Permitted) and 400.8 (Uses Not Permitted).

Basically, there is not a whole lot that 'cord' can be used for any more. I, and many others have used 'cord' drops as you mentioned, but around '99 the AHJ's started basically what we call "no mo' cord"

And BJ, no we (I) used the 'good stuff', not the economy throw away butched extension cords.

John

John
W
400.7(A)(1) specifically permits 'pendants'.

There is no definition of 'pendant' in article 100, but 210.50(A) states 'A cord connector that is supplied by a permanently connected cord pendant shall be considered a receptacle outlet'

IMHO a 'pendant' receptacle is recognized and permitted by code.

-Jon

Link Copied to Clipboard