ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
A
aldav53 Offline OP
I will be adding copper pigtails to a home with aluminum wiring. Are the (copper to aluminum) purple wire nuts a good way to go? There are other types too. Can or should I pigtail the wires for the beakers too?

The Golden Rule - "The man with the gold makes the rule"
R
What ever way you do it must be listed, so avoid the temptation of squirting anti-oxidant compound into a normal wirenut. I am under the understanding that purple wire nuts are about the only listed way to do this, but I might be wrong.

Ryan Jackson,
Salt Lake City
A
aldav53 Offline OP
There are some other special crimp-on type connectors but I will probably go with the purple wire nuts.

The Golden Rule - "The man with the gold makes the rule"
Al,

The crimp-on connectors are the preferred way to go, but my understanding is that you have to be trained by the manufacturer to even purchase them.

Bill

Bill
Al,

Have you explored the liability issues that go along with this? Might be worth looking into.

Radar

There are 10 types of people. Those who know binary, and those who don't.
A
I think if you do a search on this site you'll find a lot of discussion about the AL wire nuts and the special crimpers. You might also find a link to some other web sights dedicated to this subject. I don't remember much good said about the blue Ideal nuts.

I think one issue with the crimper is the wires long enough to use the tool. Or do you have a bunch of short wires in a small box.

Tom

Link Copied to Clipboard