ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 524 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
"Sorry to hear that, Mike_Breese. You seem to be doing a lot to stick out. Not much I can say, I just wish you the best !"

To be honest Aro things are going exactly as I expected so I am not at all discouraged, both my brothers are Tool and Die Makers so I knew in advance what to expect when it came to getting signed on as an apprentice, my one brother handed out hundreds resumes before he found someone to hire him on so I knew what to expect. You cant win them all but you cant lose them all either so I see it as just a matter of time before I find someone to hire me on. In the mean time though I have a really good job I enjoy doing and is related to which I hope to do as a career.

G
I can give you the view from the Northern Alberta oilsands. There is $50 billion of work announced for this area over the next 6 years with about $10 billion currently under construction and another $15 billion starting within the coming year.

The political situation in the Middle East means that the U.S. is looking more and more to secure oil supplies, and the oilsands is basically ground zero for petroleum development in North America. The recoverable reserves here (meaning what they can dig or boil out of the ground economically at today's prices with today's technology) is about 200 billion barrels, slightly less than
Saudi Arabia. Potential reserves are about 6 times all of the known or potential reserves of the entire Middle East. So long term there'll be ups and downs, but overall the trend is up.

The residential contractors in Fort McMurray can't find enough people to work for them. Houses are going up like mushrooms after a rainstorm, and it shows no sign of stopping.

My advice if you wanted to come to this area would be to try to find a residential contractor who would take you on as a starter, but make sure you get an honest contractor, not some sleazebag who'll dump you just before you're ready to start an apprenticeship. Be prepared for very high housing costs - among the highest in Canada at last count - and cold winters.

Build up some hours on the residential side, then if you want to get into the oilsands plants at industrial rate, hire on for commercial work with one of the shops that run both sides of the street - commercial non-union in town, industrial unionized at the plants

Hope that helps a bit.

Regards,
Brian

A
aro Offline OP
Great info, Brian !

Wow, houses more expensive than Vancouver and then the real winters... That's interesting :-)

If I end up in Canada I'll definitely look at Northern Alberta. It's good to know this. Thanks a lot.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard