ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 269 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
C
CRW Offline OP
I know this sounds simple, but it's thrown me for a loop. Maybe some of you brains can help me out.

Recently I replaced a 3 speed pull-chain switch in a Hunter fan. I bought the new switch from a supply house, and hooked it up the same way as it was on the old switch---L, 1, 2, 3. But now I see that I'm not getting High, Medium, Low and Off, I'm getting High, Low, Low and Off. Then while looking up some stuff online, I've seen numerous DIY discussions about this exact thing, and I guess the problem is getting a switch with the right mechanics inside. Evidently the Hunter switch has different contacts, cams, etc.

Do any of you know where to get a replacement switch for a Hunter fan, besides the Hunter company, which seems like it would be a pain in the butt to deal with for just a switch?

Thanx,
Chris

Chris,

I have had this problem too. Tried it 2 or 3 times with mixed results. One of my own Fans only has one speed now because of this.

[Linked Image]
Bill

Bill
F
I found a local fan store a few years ago that stocks all kinds of parts including switches. The store owner takes the old switch and literally breaks it apart, then compares the cam that was inside the switch with a chart he has. Doing it this way I have been able to replace most switches without a problem.

I don't do too much repair work on ceiling fans anymore, the cost of a new one is just about the cost of a service call nowadays.

[This message has been edited by fla sparkey (edited 06-15-2004).]

C
CRW Offline OP
Well, glad to see I'm not the only one. At first I thought I'd just mixed up 2 of the leads, but then I read about how a lot of the switches are configured differently inside. Like for instance, 1 position might connect L-1-3, then L-2-3, then L-1-2, etc., and another switch might do something totally different. It's a shame, because my fan is really excellent, but the high speed is a little too much for dinner time, blowing the napkins and stuff all over, and the low speed is not enough to really do anything. I gotta fix it and get the middle speed back.

E
I used to install fans for 6 cieling fan stores and probably have more fan experience than 10 guys put together. I know exactly the frustration you have. Your best choice is a replacement from Hunter. You may find the same switch as a generic, often times you can find the same brand and model at home depot even under diferent brand packages so look at the switch itself. (Jin You and Santa are popular brands) It needs to be the same switch or it's a crap shoot to find the right combination. The best method is to replace 1 wire at a time to avoid confusion. Was this a single or double layer switch, the doubles usually have a jumper wire between 2 of the connections. I doubt this helped you, but maybe it did. Good Luck

E
Another Idea!!

If you have high speed, why don't you put a speed control on the wall for the fan and forget about the chain. If you don't have seperate switch legs for fan/light, then use a remote control. They have remotes that mount in the wall so you don't lose them, they work great too.

C
CRW Offline OP
I understand what you mean, but unfortunately I threw the old switch away when I replaced it a few months ago. When I tried it, it seemed OK and I didn't look too carefully at the speed differences because it was still winter and I wasn't using it much. I only noticed the problem recently.

I read about that Jin You brand on another forum, and even then it sounded like there were a few variations, so you would need the model number to be sure.(or the switch, duh!)

C
CRW Offline OP
Eagle--thanx for the remote idea. I thought of that back when I first put the fan in, because I don't have seperate light and fan legs, only a 2 wire up from the switch box. But the only one I saw, a Hunter brand, was a lot more than I wanted to spend. It's my own house, and I'm pretty cheap. So I'll keep searching for a suitable replacement pullchain, and eventually, when it's time to repaint this room, I'll probably cut a little in the wall and re-fish a new 14-3 up to the fan, and go with the regular combo control.

C
I have schematics of fans I've encountered (and had time to schematic).
http://www.hurontel.on.ca/~taitg/pages/cfan.html

To date I have seen only 2 types of switches in fans, red and black, plus yellow reversing and whatever the light kit uses.

I think I have to clarify the connection table for the black type switch.

Link Copied to Clipboard