ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 506 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
D
I hate to sound like I'm merely joining the hres, but here it comes...

Get your degree.

EE is a great item to have in a resume, especiually if you'll be heading into the electrical field.

In addition, a college degree is like a membership card to a lot of shallow people in important places. If you don't have one, you won't go any further.

It's unmitigated BS, and it's wrong, unjust, (insert rant here) but it's the truth.

I never thought I was going to college - I got mostly C's & D's in the majority of my BS classes in high school. I got A's & B's in the ones I liked.

I got a call out of the blue offering me a partial scholarship if I left HS to be and "early entrant". I left HS for college.

I was amazed at the lack of "common sense" and (non academic) work ethic in the ivory tower land of academia. After I blew my scholarship, I switched to 3/4 time and I paid my tuition by working P/T as a grocery clerk at a local chain throughout my college. (It took me 6 years instead of 4)

Most of my classmates were on loans and aid, and were amazed that I could do both (work AND school) at once. While most of my classmates were going to graduate and go straight to grad school, they didn't know how to change a light bulb, or adjust a toilet float ball. I think it's part of the reason I ran as quickly as I did to the job market once I got my BA in Liberal Arts. No master's for this kid.

I did a stint as a technical support rep for a software company fresh out of college and I have to agree with you - Sitting in a cube all day sucks. And while you can say "I helped someone" or " I did something" at the end of the day, I much prefer looking back at the pipework I completed, or the new wiring in a house, and saying "I built this". It's much more satisfying for the soul.

I currently work at two jobs (FF/Paramedic and EC) that don't require a college degree, and many people are surprised when I tell them I done been collige ejimacated. [Linked Image]

I do think that the skills required to finish my degree enabled me to present a more "polished" finish when needed (especially in written communications), and it's one less thing I can look back at and say:

Gee, I wish I'd...

I would consider getting a part time gig with a local EC if you can arrange your class schedule to do so. You may also want to inquire at you school whether such a plan could fulfill some of your "elective" requirements for your degree. (My dad graduated as a MechE at Northwestern, and participated in their "co-op program with General Motors - he basically got school credit for working there alternating semesters).

Good luck!

F
I really appreciate all of your responses. It is good to know that I am not alone in the way I have felt lately. I really value the advice from BuggabooBren;

"Just finishing what you start can be an exercise in building character but it can give you and your prospective employer a solid piece of evidence that you will follow through and meet the objectives at hand."

I realize how foolish of me it would be to not complete something I have halfway completed. This is especially true when the second half is more interesting than the first. It is unfortunate that others in my situation do not realize some of the many important points that have been made in this post.

Yesterday, I gave the local union a call trying to see if they could give me any leads on a summer job. It did not turn up any. I admire ElectricAL's approach to getting started in the trade. Once I get home from school, I will see about finding some type of work.

I agree with the statement by DougW, "A college degree is like a membership card to a lot of shallow people in important places. If you don't have one, you won't go any further." I think that is part of what has angered me about school. These kids have wonderful memories, but when it comes to their personalities, they think they are going to own the world.

Again, I really appreciate the wonderful advice I have received from you all. What I need to do now is look into the possibilities this degree will bring me. It seems like being on both sides (design and install) would be great career. I just need to find an opportunity to see what it is like.

W
I have a BSME, at times felt just like you did. One difference(probably anyway) as I started college when I was 24 so I knew what the real world was like. I never used the degree but it gave me instant credibility(deserved or not [Linked Image] ). Finish school, do your best.
A BSEE will not get a journeymen spot in Maine, you need hrs. I'm guessing you could get the education waived though [Linked Image]

D
Doug W, your counselor must have been friends with mine, for I too have a degree in Liberal Arts. I don't even know what the hell it means but it has gotten me jobs, gave me extra stripes when I joined the Air Force Reserves and has even alowed me to teach, but as far as the degree itself goes its worthless. I envy young fflipster, I would love to go back and get an engineering degree.

One of the better ones-
Electricians do it without shorts.
D
I've often told my friends that if I won the bazillion lottery I'd endow my alma mater with an industrial arts program... so the "great minds" could earn a living during the day, and support the ability to discuss great ideas at night.

And it wouldn't hurt the leaders of tomorrow to know how to change a light bulb, either! [Linked Image]

O
fflipster - I haven't posted on this board before but could not hold back on this one.
The first thing I can say is that these guys are right. Finish college or you will probably regret it.
I am someone who started in this trade late in life (in my opinoin anyway). After spending almost ten years behind a desk I had turned into one of the most miserable people you ever wanted to meet. The desk job was never my style but I got sucked into making good $$$ at a fairly young age and didn’t realize the impact taking a job I could not stand would make in my life. To make a long story short, I left a career making close to six figures a year to start out making ten bucks an hour as an apprentice just shy of 30 years of age with a family to support. Inside of two years in the trade, I am already making decent money and am happier with my life then I have ever been.
The best advice I can give is don't take on a career because it's what someone else wants you to do or if you know in your gut that is wrong for you. You will grow bitter and make those around miserable.
Starting out in this trade is one of the best things I have ever done......

E
Welcome to the Forum oc-nj 08757. Come again, y'all hear.

And now for an editorial correction.
Posted by ElectricAL: . . .automatic permission to test for the local or state journeyman's license.
My bad. I should have typed Master's license.

Here in Minnesota the statute that describes the capabilities of a licensed Master Electrician is word for word identical to that of a Journeyman, except for additional words ". . .plan, lay out,. . ." in the definition of Master. So, not only does a Master get to do everything that a Journeyman does, s/he also gets to lay it out and plan it.

Interestingly, I originally applied to take my journeyman's test, was sent a form letter rejection for insufficient apprentice hours, with a typed in note: "But your BSEE qualifies you for the "A" Master electrician's exam."

I thought to myself, "There's a court case for descrimination because of too much education" but I got over it and changed my studying course to include more of the design side. Passed the test on the first shot. [Linked Image]

Maybe others could comment on whether the BSEE / Master permission corellates in their areas?

Al Hildenbrand
N
In NJ, a BSEE can substitute for 3 of the 5 required years of work experience. By itself, it does not qualify you to sit for the master's exam.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard