ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
2 members (Scott35, gfretwell), 269 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#38773 06/01/04 06:42 PM
B
Gentlemen, I have had several customers request doorbell chimes in remote locations on their property, i.e. patios, garages, decks, and outbuildings. I have seen ads for units that use a transmitter hooked to the current chime and a remote receiver. Have any of you had success with such a unit? Or can recommend what type of equipment to use? It looks a great deal simpler than trying to fish new bell wire through existing walls. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also wanted to let everyone know how much I enjoy reading your post. I feel that this website and the great contributions everyone makes has given me a lot of insights and made me a better electrician.

Thanks,

Steve

#38774 06/01/04 07:16 PM
N
They make such a "repeater" unit as a commercial product now? That makes things convenient! I did a similar installation several years ago, and used a small "ice cube" relay wired to the existing bell, operating a standard "push button" type wireless doorbell transmitter with the button removed and wired to the relay contacts.

The wireless bells (at least the NuTone ones I have used) work very reliably, in my experience, but the downside is the need for occasional battery replacements. Homeowners aren't used to replacing batteries in doorbells anymore (ever found one that still used the old #6 dry cells? [Linked Image]), and I have received a few calls that were resolved by a simple battery replacement. The battery in the transmitter is somewhat unusual, being a lithium type often used in RF car alarm transmitters.

#38775 06/02/04 02:10 PM
C
IME such remote transmitters use MN23 alcaline batteries. They are available at many home centers and electronic stores..

Link Copied to Clipboard