ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#3852 08/30/01 09:48 PM
S
stan Offline OP
i never hardly get job"s without going threw the general contractor. this pisses me off because they make money off me. And usually off the supplies also .And their i am just with my labor price any comments would be appreciated. Im kinda new in contracting guys i need some advice on alot of things i wish i could sit down and talk with some of u about contracting.

#3853 08/30/01 10:30 PM
R
I think it's a mistake to allow someone else provide materials. This is one area that you can increase your bottom line. General contractors are entitled to mark up your price to cover their expenses. If you ever need to sub some of your work out, do the same. As far as prices, I would start low, and if you feel you are shorting yourself, GRADUALLY increase your prices. This way, at least your name get's around. If you get every(bid)job, you are charging too little.

#3854 08/30/01 10:33 PM
S
stan Offline OP
so i just go straight to the customer and make a deal with them on materials not the contractor right?

#3855 08/30/01 11:02 PM
The way I look at it, if I want X amount of money for Y amount of work, the GC can add whatever he wants to it as long as I get my money... You just have to make sure you're including all overhead and expenses...

Unfortunately, mine is a completely cash business (no credit anywhere... not even a checking account) although I'm completely honest taxwise (haven't owed anything yet...) so I'm stuck letting the GC's handle the goods... Since there's no mark-up on bid jobs (and I simply deduct their purchases) whatever's left over is mine anyway...

It's been a tough lesson for me, but I'm slowly getting there...

[Linked Image from kellyelectric.electrical-contractor.net]

[This message has been edited by sparky66wv (edited 08-30-2001).]

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
#3856 08/31/01 12:23 AM
Stan,

Do you advertise anywhere?
Bypassing the GC would not be a good idea if you don't get any other work. But you can't really hope to get any other type if you don't Advertise.

Bill

Bill
#3857 08/31/01 12:39 AM
D
I was always told to "sell the job, not the pieces". As often as you can do it, sell your work as a complete job, materials and labor, in a bid or quote. Even to the GC. All GC's mark up their subs cost, mostly to cover overhead and supervision. Try not to let others provide materials, since you can't control the quality of the material, and you can't make any profit from providing it, either.

I was also always told that if you look at five jobs a week, and get more than three of them, you're too cheap. Figure out what you have to have to stay afloat, then add some for profit.

#3858 08/31/01 05:10 AM
S
I would try a standard format to bid from. For instance, i have a one page questionaire as to everything i can think of in a single fam home, given accurate info i can give accurate pricing. Bids are done sq.ft, $ per stop, $ per service amperage, etc....whatever works for you , and is in the 'ballpark' with other sparky's in your area. I would take the time to seek out your competition here, as it behooves you and they to be similarly $$$'ed.

Save the T&M for the ones who don't know what they want ( weed them out too, as they are a pain..)

Anyone here will tell you there is no glory in T&M, the pot of gold is in concise bidding. This solid pricing should appeal to a GC who is universally the 'liasion' bettweeen you and the customer. The customer knows what they are paying for,the GC knows what his cut is, you know what your payment schedule is.

One thing i can tell you is that GC's always love the new kid on the block, beware [Linked Image]

#3859 08/31/01 07:57 AM
Cutting the GC out of the middle will result in your getting no more work from the GC. If he's getting you the work, let him put whatever he wants on it. Most customers deal with the GC, there's generally a big mess if they try to put the pieces of a construction
job together themselves.
I'm working on a church that did this. They made a 3 month job last over a year by "trying to save $". The Construction Loan expires tomorrow, it'll cost them big $. They're in deep manure, and still aren't close to completion.

#3860 09/01/01 04:59 PM
D
Save the T&M for the ones who don't know what they want ( weed them out too, as they are a pain..)

Anyone here will tell you there is no glory in T&M, the pot of gold is in concise bidding. This solid pricing should appeal to a GC who is universally the 'liasion' bettweeen you and the customer. The customer knows what they are paying for,the GC knows what his cut is, you know what your payment schedule is.

One thing i can tell you is that GC's always love the new kid on the block, beware [Linked Image][/B]

Sparky's right on about the T&M and the GC's feeding on the "new guys". We finally spent big bucks on a commercial estimating program instead of the one I cobbled together in Excel, just to get the standardized concise bidding.
Make sure your jobs make money, and not just break even, either. You can find lots of easier ways to go broke than working hard pullin wire.

#3861 09/01/01 11:07 PM
Your last sentence sums up my work in 2001...

[Linked Image]

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard