ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 187 guests, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
E
I am in the market for a hammer drill that is capable of driving ground rods. What will give me the most bang for my buck (pun intended). Would appreciate specific model numbers along with recommendations. Thanks.

I
The bigger the better and make sure you get the attachment for driving rods.

The large SDS style chuck will take a ground rod directly but it can quickly break the chuck also.

We use a large Bosch but any large tool will do.

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
... Hi,..I have a Hitachi,spline drive that was a great deal for the money..$379.00 and it has a twist knob that stops the rotation action and just hits,for use with ground rods,and chipping chisels..
It ain't a Bosch,but it acts like one.. [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Russ

P.S....I used it for 2" core drilling thru brick and masonry,..no binding,because of the slip-clutch,it went like the devil,..Seriously,tho,it's a great drill if you need the model #,I'll look it up for ya,..
Russ

[This message has been edited by Attic Rat (edited 05-24-2004).]

.."if it ain't fixed,don't break it...call a Licensed Electrician"
... I found it.. [Linked Image from hitachi.us] DH38YE 1 1/2" Rotary Hammer Spline Shank

[This message has been edited by Attic Rat (edited 05-24-2004).]

.."if it ain't fixed,don't break it...call a Licensed Electrician"
R
I never used the ground rod attachment. I always just took the pilot out of a hole saw bit and used the flat part of it. Worked very well, and less stuff to buy!

Ryan Jackson,
Salt Lake City
F
I have a Dewalt 1-1/2" spline drive hammer. I made a groundrod driver. I bought a short bull point chisel for a spline drive at a used tool flea market for $2.00, cut it off and welded a 10" piece of 3/4" rigid to it with stainless welding rod. It works great! I also made a 3/4" driving head that I have used to push 3/4" rigid under driveways with my rotary hammer. I just cut the rigid into 5' sections and thread them. Then drive a section about 4' then stop and thread on another section. Keep going until it comes out in the hole on the other side. You have to dig a 3' deep hole on both sides of the driveway but it beats cutting the pavement.

B
Here in the Arizona desert driving ground rods can sometimes be a real challenge. I use a 40 lb. Bosch demolition hammer with ground rod attachment. It was a $700 unit new but I've got a lot of use out of it. Just last week we had a house on bedrock 2 feet down. Tried 6 different locations around the house. Finally drove them at a 45 degree angle.

C
I use a Bosch Demolition hammer. I have tried roto-hammers but they are too slow especially in hard soil.

Curt

Curt Swartz
E
I have the same one as Attic rat. I have the ground rod attachment. Works very well for the money.

Anybody want to hear that on Long Island sometimes we have to tap lightly to keep the rod from going down too far??

[Linked Image]
Bill

Bill
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard