ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
BigB Offline OP
When making up boxes, how many prefer barrel crimps for the grounding conductors and how many prefer the green wirenuts with the hole in the end? Or do some just use a regular wirenut and add a pigtail? I have been using the barrel crimps but I ran out Friday and finished up with some greenies I had in my truck. I kind of liked the result plus it would mean one less tool to carry in my belt. I haven't really used them a lot as I still remember when I was an apprentice the greenies were scoffed at by the journeymen.
BigB

N
I like the greenies, or better yet, the "Term-A-Nut" grounding pigtails from Ideal. A greenie with an attached double pigtail--a ringlug w/ green screw to bond the box, and a spade lug to connect to the device grounding screw.

[Linked Image from idealindustries.com]

Z
Crimp sleeves is what I use, they do not take up any precious space up in a box, unlike a greenie or wirenut.
The Term-a-Nut is a good idea, but the price is not cost effective.
You can buy 3-4 boxes of crimps for the price of 25 Term-A- Nuts. JMHO.

Shoot first, apologize later.....maybe
I
We do not use either, we use standard wire nuts.

The greenies would not e very helpful as most of our grounds are fully insulated.

IMO the "Term-A-Nuts" are not worth the money they cost. They do look great and are easy to use.

I have not installed a barrel crimp in 20 years, I never liked them, IMO when you use them with a group of 12 AWG solid the crimp loosens when you push the wires back in the box, IMO they make a lousy connection.

If space in the box is that tight I suggest roughing with larger boxes. [Linked Image]

JMO, Bob

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
E
I used to install the Greenies, for awhile after they were first introduced, . . . but with all the wonderful things being introduced over the years, my back started developing chiropractic issues. . . .

I settled back to regular wirenuts for the ground and pigtail.

Al Hildenbrand
U
Just the regular wirenut and pigtail here. Never had the opportunity to try the crimps, greenies, or term-a-nuts.

W
Some observations that I made when trying out various wire connectors:

1) The barrel crimps seem to do a horrible job with 12ga solid wire. I was using the Buchanan C-24 tool, which indents the crimp from 4 sides, and was using Buchanan crimp sleeves. As I recall, 12ga solid is considered acceptable in these connectors. But I could never get what felt like a solid connection.

2) These same crimps seem to do a _great_ job with _stranded_ wire.

-Jon

D
I use the 12 ga solid wire insulated pigtails with screw attached and standard wire nuts.

Dave

C
Plain old wire connector. I do like the Greenies for small combinations of #12 and #14 though. Crimp on barrels? Forget it! Garbage.

Peter
J
i like the wire nuts alot better.less hassle and time i think

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard