ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#38453 05/23/04 05:56 PM
D
Dave55 Offline OP
I had an emergency call yesterday. The homeowner was having trouble with dimming lights (with motor surges---much more than normal)and a gas dryer with electronic controls wouldn't start.

I was getting voltage readings within norm, when the POCO guy came. I told him I suspected a neutral problem. He put the phases under load, which showed an imbalance. He said anytime a voltage reading in single phase varies more than 4 volts (L1-N, L2-N)it's probably a faulty neutral.

The homeowner asked why the lights dimmed and he described the current flow in a sine wave with a faulty neutral (using his finger on the wall). Not exactly something I'd try with a homeowner.

Anyway, can anyone explain this clearly or show a diagram of how this changes the current flow? He seemed to be saying that since the neutral was faulty the current came back on itself causing the lights to dim and brighten.

Dave

#38454 05/25/04 05:03 PM
M
Dave,

Sorry for the long delay. It took me a long time to find what I was looking for, and I've been rather busy lately.

The thread listed below contains the best, most comprehensive and easy to understand explanation for what happens when neutral is lost. Makes much more sense than the POCO guy's explanation with a sine wave. It's even better than I have read in most books! [Linked Image]

https://www.electrical-contractor.net/ubb/Forum1/HTML/003640.html

[This message has been edited by Mean Gene (edited 05-26-2004).]

#38455 05/25/04 05:25 PM
D
Dave55 Offline OP
Thanks, Mean Gene. This makes a lot more sense to me now.

Dave

#38456 05/26/04 09:10 PM
C
CRW Offline
That IS an excellent thread and explanation. I've been involved with this scenario a couple times and learned what NOT to do! Basically, don't tie in a multi-wire circuit or part of one (any circuit sharing a neutral) while more than 1 leg is still on. Better yet, turn the whole group off. I was forced at the time to work for speed, and not allowed to shut anything down. When the neutral splice came apart (Surprise!) office equipment started leaking smoke and there was alot of screaming and pandemonium.

A friend of mine recently got his service upgraded, and the electrician showed him that his utility neutral had been completely unattached, probably for many years! The current must have been flowing through the waterpipe ground, because they never had any noticeable problems with their power.

Link Copied to Clipboard