ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#38342 05/20/04 07:04 PM
C
I always hated working on vehicles. They're greasy, grimy, dirty, and there's something hot to burn yourself on everywhere. I always had mechanics or my friend repair my truck. I changed the oil and filters and that's it.

However, my F150 is now at the age (8 years old, 84K miles) where things are starting to go. I'm now learning another trade- auto repair. [Linked Image] The thing is old and low-tech so it's easy to fix I've discovered. If it were new - forget it!

So, how many other sparky amateur mechanics out there?

Peter

Peter
#38343 05/20/04 07:24 PM
F
i do work on my own because i am master diesel mechanic and master electrician.

it do come handy when i do my own repairs to save alot of money and time because i deal with alot of generators anway [ natural gas , dual fuel , diesel , gasoline verison ]

and what more my truck have over 570,000 miles [ near 10,000 hours on running time it show 9800 hours on hour meter btw] on my diesel engine and still the oringal block and head and did not even take the head off yet so far

yes i do change my own oil and do few major repairs on my truck too

merci, marc

Pas de problme,il marche n'est-ce pas?"(No problem, it works doesn't it?)

#38344 05/20/04 09:25 PM
Z
Must be a cummins diesel, to go that long with out taking the heads off? I work on all my vehicles. I also play with vintage snowmobiles and race them in the winter. Sometimes I like working of vehicles and other times I hate it. I guess it depends on the job, kinda like our trade............Brian

#38345 05/20/04 09:31 PM
J
Lucky you- I've never owned a vehicle either that new or with that few miles on it!

If you decide to get a replacement, check GSAAUCTIONS.gov. Also, ask your local utilities what they do with theirs.

I suggest a 3/4 ton utility body, covered bed (not blocking rear vision), ladder rack.

#38346 05/20/04 11:10 PM
One thing I'm lucky for... One of my best friends owns a garage & tow company [Linked Image] My personal car (95 Jeep Grand Cherokee) has over 260,000 miles on it.. It's been back & forth between California & New York so many times I lost track! But the biggest repair I've had to make on it is replacing the starter! I drove it to Oregon & back last month without any problems..
My work van however.. (98 Chevy Express 2500, 130,000miles) seems like it's been rebuilt! Master cylinder, fuel pump, water pump, springs, A/C condensor, radiator, oxygen sensors, .... Thankfully this thing belongs to the company!.. It still runs better than the Ford vans they have.. about half of those have been auctioned off with blown engines & trannys.. One Chevy has bit the dust...

-Randy

#38347 05/21/04 04:43 AM
E
I always used to do repairs from oil changes to gearbox rebuilds on my own vehicles and those of friends and family, I am trying to stop doing it as I find lying under a car/truck getting burned and filthy isn't fun any more [Linked Image]. Luckily my works vehicle is a 2002 VW Passat TDI with 102,000 miles on it and running like a dream and all servicing/repairs are done under a service agreement by a main dealer

#38348 05/24/04 02:04 PM
I'm feeling more like an idiot than usual today.

I finally took the day off to take my 2000GMC Sierra in to the dealership. I've been putting it off for months, the "service engine" light's been on, and it would have to crank 10 seconds or so on a startup when warm.
I've been intimidated by all the gizmos on this truck. I've not even changed my own oil.
The stupidest thing is, I used to build race motors, and wouldn't have a second thought about ripping into the engine block, or anything else except the auto trans...or those darn gizmos

Before leaving (wife going to follow me over to drop it off), I opened the hood and saw what looked like a cracked vacuum hose. I pulled it off to look, and gas poured out. The diaphragm in the fuel pressure regulator was ruptured!
Went and bought regulator, put in on in less than 10 minutes (with one screwdriver) = Entire problem fixed. And I drove it around like that for months fighting it all the way.

Maybe I ought to look under there more often than once or twice a year. I'm SUCH an IDIOT sometimes.

I'm no longer intimidated...Hmm, maybe I'll go modify some of the microprocessors. After all, I've got the day off [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]...S

[This message has been edited by electure (edited 05-24-2004).]

#38349 05/24/04 02:20 PM
I
Scott I am much the same way, I have done crank and main bearings in an afternoon on my back with the engine in my car just lifted up to get the oil pan off.

I have built and rebuilt a number of motors in my vehicles, but now I just do not know where to start, of course I really can not even see the engine on the GMC van I drive. [Linked Image]

I have a noise in the front end of my GMC Suburban and I think I may try to fix it my self this time.

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
#38350 05/24/04 08:38 PM
D
I have always done my own work and am now the proud owner of 2 new Ram HD's with the Cummins. Hopefully I won't have to work on them for a long, long time. BTW, what the hell is up with the price of diesel being higher than premium gas???????

One of the better ones-
Electricians do it without shorts.

Link Copied to Clipboard