ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#38222 05/17/04 11:34 PM
...The useless,lazy helper I'd so often complained about is finally gone...Like a bad cold!! 2 weeks ago,he called me on a Sunday eve to tell me he's sick and can't make it in to work on Monday..OK,I asked him to call me on Moday morn to confirm that he really wasn't coming in..I had a Service Upgrade that day,and was hoping he'd of felt better overnite...No such luck..he called me on Mon.morn, and said he was still sick..OK..."Feel better,and call me tomorrow nite and tell me your progress"..Tuesday..no call,no show..Wednesday,I called him,and asked "What's up"? and he said .."still sick"..I then asked why hadn't he called me to inform me,and he said he "wasn't up to it"..I then told him to see a Doctor,and maybe he could be given and antibiotic,or something..he replied.."no,thats alright"...Thursday and Friday were a wash as well,and I spoke to him on Sunday eve,and asked if he'd be in for work.."Yeah,I'll be in, but I'm still sick"..I said "see how ya feel,and call if you're gonna come in"..I really needed him..He came in alright, for about 3 hours,and then asked if he could go home..I was mad as heck,'cause he hadn't seen a Doctor,and he could've..if he cared about himself or his job...(which at this point I think the "sickness" was all baloney,as he took his tools home,and never takes them with him)...Thursday he comes in,as well as Friday..Now mind you,I'd just given him an undeserved $2.00 raise..We had to work Saturday,to make for the lost time all the previous week,..the only thing was that I told him I'd call him if ANYTHING CHANGED,..which it didn't,so Saturday,I expected him to show up...No Show...I went to his house to pick him up,as I've always done,'cause his jalopy doesn't run..and he was sleeping..After waking him I asked "What gives"?? and he said.."You didn't call me"...I flipped out..I told him,"if he cared about his job,and didn't hear from me,he should've called to confirm if we were indeed working"..He then yelled, "Oh, I gotta call you now"??..I can see where the adage "Familiarity breeds contempt" comes from...There was a total breakdown of respect for his job,..me as his boss,and his overall demeanor..It's as if he wanted me to fire him,so he could collect unemployment,sit home and loaf,while getting paid for it..I asked him "do you want to lose your job"?? and he replied,.."if you wanna fire me,then fire me"...I then left in a huff, got in my van and sped off...only to return 5 min, later to ask him to come to work..."you fired me"..he said,and I replied that I hadn't..and if he'd just come in to work,and I held out my hand for him to shake in reconciliation,and he stubbornly said "NO"...so I asked if he'd be in on Mon. morn,and he replied "I don't know"..He finally said he would come in after all,and I left...Monday morn...guess what..?? NO Show!!! I've Had It!!!! Let him try to collect,...I'll tell them he quit,and wouldn't return..He had my van keys,and I owed him a weeks salary,of which he thought was his "raise"...guess what he didn't get it..I paid him his old salary,and got my darn keys back before he noticed the amount of the check!! HA, the last laugh is mine!!He was quite perturbed and even had the nerve to ask me "where's the raise"..I swear it's true..I told him there wasn't any..he shouted a few expletives,and I graciously returned a few,..and walked away...I pity the fool who calls me for a reference...How'd I do???
Russ

.."if it ain't fixed,don't break it...call a Licensed Electrician"
#38223 05/17/04 11:50 PM
D
I LOVE hearing stories like this! It's why I've worked without helpers for 20 years. Thanks Russ, you made my day!

Dave

#38224 05/18/04 05:01 AM
P
Russ,
It's sounds as though you've been more than fair in giving him every opportunity to straighten himself out, and he's thrown it back in your face.

Fortunately, you don't have the pack of government bullies screaming about "employees' rights" who would descend upon you in this part of the world for firing somebody if that person decided to complain.

Have you found a replacement yet?

#38225 05/18/04 09:00 AM
B
WOW!!! This sounds like a typical week with my helper...my 14 year old son! The only problem that I see with this is that there was no documentation. It's hard to prove that the employee is/was a problem if these "problems" were not addressed before. He can easily come back with the excuse that it was all a misunderstanding, he thought you fired him, you thought he quit and you may have to hire him back. It all depends on how far he carries it. Remember, in order to recieve unemployment bennies, you must have been let go through no fault of your own. If these incidents would have been documented, there wouldn't even be a question. I guess you just need to wait for the other shoe to drop.

#38226 05/18/04 09:55 AM
S
Attic Rat, as your name implies you probably engage in some of the "glamorous" work we do. Two things learned in six years in business; 1)not enough hours in the day to stay married and do it all alone. 2)takes many people to find keepers, we've been through 22 to get the great 3 we have now. Interestingly enough all three were basically trained from scratch. Now everyone signs an agreement that first 90 days are probation, after that eligible to work here. Very strict, during 1st 90 days have 1 excused absense or tardy, 2nd one is free. They also agree to low starting wage, Monday nights for training without pay and $40 per week is deducted for tools that company lists. Please also know that around here, N. Ill., hearings with former employees where they're asked if missed work, late, etc. Good luck. Fun isn't it.

#38227 05/18/04 05:13 PM
B
Russ,

You definitely did the right thing. Anyone who cared that little about keeping their job, probably cared equally little about the quality of their work. You almost certainly saved yourself in the long run.

I'm really amazed that you even gave him as much leeway as you did. Though it sounds like good help is in short supply 'round those parts.

-John

#38228 05/18/04 10:22 PM
T
That sounds way too much like babysitting to me. Russ, you really have alot of patience or help is really hard to come by in your area.

Donnie
#38229 05/19/04 12:24 AM
Russ, you really have alot of patience or help is really hard to come by in your area.

... Maybe it's a little of both,I really tried to help the oaf.I trained him for almost 2 years,and invested alot of time and energy in him..I gave him a $2.00/hr raise as an incentive for him to straighten and fly right,but he just dive bombed and landed on his dopey head..I put up with alot of garbage,and still gave him the benefit of the doubt that he'd straighten out...My bad...
...No replacement yet,PaulUK,I'm still looking,...I'm just disgusted over the whole mess..
Russ

.."if it ain't fixed,don't break it...call a Licensed Electrician"
#38230 05/19/04 01:42 AM
N
The local job service here informed me that if an employee is a no call no show for 3 days it is a volintary quit. If the employee is sick more than 3 days you can require a doctors note telling you when the employee will be able to work. If the employee does not have a doctors note he is not sick and the 3 day no call, no show applies.
Because of this, I learned not to chase those who do not want to work.
Just record when the employee was supposed to work and did not show or call. After 3 days you list them a a volitary quit and prepare thier last paycheck on you next payday. The only thing you may have to chase is company property. Of course you do not give out the pay check untill all company propertyis returned.
When the former employee files for unemployment you will get a call or letter asking why he/she is no longer working. you just inform them that the individual was a 3 day no call and no show and therefor quit.
I have yet to have my unemployment records hit by those who are too lazy to work or act like an adult.

ed

Link Copied to Clipboard