ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#38187 05/17/04 06:59 AM
R
U.S Dept. of Commerce figures show 77% of copper is imported, 55% of "general electrical equipment", 80% of lighting fixtures & lamps. When will the EC's need to learn chinese and mexican?
Rowdy

#38188 05/17/04 04:18 PM
P
It seems to be a common trend as Western countries seek cheap labor costs.

Off-topic but slightly related, I was reading some articles about old cars the other day. Apparently in the late 1950s more than 98% of vehicles on the road in the U.S. were American made. Anyone have the latest figure? I'd wager it's a fair bit less than that today. [Linked Image]

#38189 05/17/04 05:42 PM
D
*very off topic as electrical stuff goes*

paul--

i dont know exactaly what the figures are, but most foreign automakes, honda, toyota and the like, build their cars here, and unfortunatley due to the tax incentives, the big 3 are sending all their jobs to canada and mexico....maybe one day our cars will get made here again....atleast i hope so for the sake of our economy.....

Rob

#38190 05/17/04 08:23 PM
Tom Offline
I'll tell you what, China is sucking up so many manufacturing jobs that Mexico is concerned about jobs being siphoned away. (Sound of violins & a weepy steel guitar in the backround).

Paul,

It isn't just the cheap labor costs, its the low cost of the product. There is way too much of a Wal Mart mentality in the U.S.

Using online inflation calculators, I find that I don't make a whole lot more than my Father did. However, I can sure buy a lot more, thanks to lower prices.

If I have a hard time getting my customers to upgrade to a better outlet ($1 Vs $0.39), I can't imagine them paying an extra few bucks for American made blue jeans (the last US blue jeans plant closed last year).

I better stop now, this is a touchy subject, with me and others.

Tom

Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example.
#38191 05/17/04 09:13 PM
C
A touchy subject indeed. I used to be very outspoken about this but I've come to accept that this is the reality of capitalism and living in the U.S.

Before we start ranting about China, lets just remember that they are suffering from many growing pains in their industrialization, much like the U.S. did many years ago.

Peter

Peter

Link Copied to Clipboard