ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 228 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#37772 05/13/04 09:31 PM
H
Ever notice the number of car fires in recent years? Years ago they were not that common but now you don't have to look very far to see one or at least notice a burnt place on the shoulder of the road where one recently occurred.

This increase coincides nicely with the changeover to fuel injected engines. These cars have numerous high pressure fuel lines under the hood as opposed to one low pressure line on engines with carburetors.

I have always been of the opinion that the now common occurrence of engine fires is not just coincedence but is because of the deterioration or damage of the high pressure lines which can very easily spray fuel onto a hot engine.

Yet, whenever I hear the details of a car fire by the FD it is always said to be caused by an electrical problem. How can you tell when there is nothing left?

#37773 05/14/04 04:41 AM
P
The majority of people have little or no understanding of basic electricity. Unlike gas, or water, they can't visualize what's actually happening in the wires and devices, so it's all somewhat mysterious to them.

So I think it may be a case of blaming the least-understood system of a house, in the hope that the majority of people will simply accept that "explanation."

#37774 05/14/04 09:42 AM
A
I don't know if there is an increase in car fires but I could understand why. Most multiport injection vehicles have a fuel pressure between 30-50 PSI with a 3/8" supply and 5/16 return line. If the fuel regulatior jambs (more common on ford trucks) the pressure will go above 100 PSI. Over the last 10-15 years manufactures have been switching to vinel/plastic fuel lines for the whole auto. Every joint, injector, & filter has o-rings that is a possable leak. When they leak they pour fuel out. Once a car starts on fire it is almost doomed. They have so many plastics, rubbers, fluids that burn (even washer solvent) it is hard to stop a fire.

Tom

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard