ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
Chester Offline OP
Hi guys,

I have posted here about an electrical job on the dryer circuit I did for a co-worker and her husband, and I need to "vent" here a little bit. I helped her move in and noticed that there was an older 3-slot receptacle still in the wall, and of course, she had a newer dryer which had an equipment grounding conducter, four prong of course. Well, I went to swap it out and noticed the cable being used was inadequate, being like a 12-2. The guy who put it in was using the neutral as the other hot, and the bare grounding wire as the neutral. Anwyway, I realized I would need to put in Romex 10-3 with ground, which meant getting into the attic and pulling out the old, and putting in the new, and connecting it to the panel. I am a Christian man, who takes his faith seriously, and I wanted to do this good deed to help out a "friend." I did it just to help them, to be a blessing, and I spent probably 11 hours in all helping her move, plus working on this job. Her attitude was totally ungrateful the whole time like they were doing me a favor allowing me to do this job, and I also had the deal with the annoying pestering of her husband who kept on asking me what I was doing, what a grounding wire is and on and on....well, I have a a bit of a sour taste in my mouth at this point. I did not want money, just some gratitude, as it was hard work. I am proud of my work and I stand by it, but now they are freaking out about a "hot" smell coming from inside the dryer, and of course, they do not attach the vent, and plus there is a massive gaping whole in the back of the frame, so of course, they're going to smell heat. Anyway, my wiring is fine, testing at 245v between the two lives....anyway, I am wondering how much they saved money-wise here. What do you guys think? Thanks for letting me "vent." I'm a little angry...

N
I can relate to your experience.
Before I went in buisness i use to do side jobs on occasion and charge a little for the work. There was many a time when the people thought they were doing me a favor by letting me do some work for them when it was realy a pain in the butt and then they would complain about how much I charged them.
I have the same problem now that I am in buisness. It is harder to get people to pay you for a $100 - $200 job then a $1,000 job
Crazy

C
I hate to talk about religious matters here, because that is not a subject for discussion here.

But.....

From one Christian to another, let me say this. Consider it a lesson learned. There are lots of ungrateful people in life, but they are far outweighed by the good ones that will appreciate the things you do.

The Lord has seen what you have done, and you will be paid in full.

Peter

Peter
G
Hi Chester. There's an old saying.."No good deed goes unpunished",sometimes, it's true.

Just remember what CT said.

Russell

E
The old saying "No good deed goes unpunished" is very true.

M
Let it go, Bro. You are the one who is blessed with the God givien talent to use for others. I don't want to get into religeous dissussions here. I have done electrical work for my church for years without asking for a dime. I am also the lead sound tech. Now THAT'S a thankless job. Remember, you will get your reward.

Blessings,
Mark

L
LK Offline
Just tonight, i was at the gas station and the guy that pumps gas, asked how much we charge to hook up a new dryer, I asked when he needed it done, and he said it was done, he was just checking price, i asked what he paid, $279 plus $31 for permit, he said the dryer was about 30ft from the main panel, i told him we were charge about the same depending on distance of run.

E
I'd say between $250 and $350 depending on distance from panel.

J
I too ask for tolerence from the rest of the forum, but as another Christian to another, it is easy to get burned attitude-wise from doing charity work. Before you offer to do charity, picture the recipient not being grateful, and ask yourself if you still want to do it. Don't be in it for the gratitude. Sacrificial giving is to give cheerfully with absolutely nothing in return, not even gratitude. It's not easy, but from what I understand, God honors that the most.

As to the burning smell, all new heating type appliances have a burning smell the first time they are turned on. From what I understand there is a thin coat of oil put on at the end of manufaturing to keep the heating coil from begining to rust. They don't know if the unit will sit for 3 years before being sold. The smell is the burning off of that oil.

D
We Buddhists have a similar belief about unacknowledged acts of kindness not going unnoticed in the overall scheme of things. [Linked Image]

If you want to help them "realize the value of your act of kindness", send them a work invoice "for insurance record keeping purposes only" that lists the work done, your usual work rate, and then list "no charge" under the total for amount due.

It's less noble than simply filing it under "good deeds", but not as obnoxious as sending them a regular bill, then personally being "gracious" and waiving any monies.

Whatever you decide, rest well knowing ya did good!

[This message has been edited by DougW (edited 04-29-2004).]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard