ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 264 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
I'm confused (I guess). A 200 AMP panel can handle what? Heck I'm lost now. I Thought I had it! Ok: You have 11 15 amp breaker's, can the 200 Amp panel handle this many breakers. Where does the 40 Amp, and 30 Amp breakers come in? How the heck do you wire a panel (In layman terms)? The reason I ask, is because I've had 3 different Journeyman tell me 3 different things. I'm assuming they do not know the calculations of how you know when to stop installing breakers etc.. LOST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

S
Foca Se;
it is somewhat a 'code loop', but it should start with a 'demand load calculation', look in the appendix at the examples... [Linked Image]

R
A 200 amp panel can handle 200 amps. However, this is not determined by adding up the breaker values.
Due to load diversity, it is very unlikely that each branch breaker will be loaded to its maximum value. As long as your calculated load does not exceed the panel rating, you are O.K. The same thing applies to Service Entrance conductors. A 200 amp service might, for practical resons, feed a 150 amp and 100 amp panel. As long as the calculated load does not exceed the Service Conductor rating.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Originally posted by Redsy:
A 200 amp panel can handle 200 amps. However, this is not determined by adding up the breaker values.
Due to load diversity, it is very unlikely that each branch breaker will be loaded to its maximum value. As long as your calculated load does not exceed the panel rating, you are O.K. The same thing applies to Service Entrance conductors. A 200 amp service might, for practical resons, feed a 150 amp and 100 amp panel. As long as the calculated load does not exceed the Service Conductor rating.
Thank you for the info! This was what I figured. Thanks!

W
Art. 220 of your NEC deals with the calculations. They are not that complex, however, you need to know how to do them corectly. Once you read through Art. 220, if you have questions, this BB and the great supportive people here will be glad to help.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Originally posted by WARREN1:
Art. 220 of your NEC deals with the calculations. They are not that complex, however, you need to know how to do them corectly. Once you read through Art. 220, if you have questions, this BB and the great supportive people here will be glad to help.
Thanks!

Link Copied to Clipboard