ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 376 guests, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
J
Joey D Offline OP
"The presence of the medallion, to me, hints at historic significance that, if at all reasonable, should be preserved,. . .so hacking at the location to quickly get done may not be practical."

Al, To me hanging off the pipe would have been the quick and hack way to do it. I saved the medalian by cutting on each side of it. This is a rewire of an old house so patching was OK.

E
Cool! [Linked Image]

Among other devices, when the gas pipe is removed, I've come to appreciate fan braces. The additional material cost is offset by the labor savings, IMO, and there is no question of the weight bearing ability afterwards.

I've also learned that most (4 out of 5) of the gas light stubs in my area come down from a Tee or a 90ยบ fitting. My channel locks have been an adequate pipe wrench. I keep a small assortment of plugs and pipe dope on the truck.

The gas pipe that is site bent at installation is the worst to work around.

For me, the interesting situation arises around a turn-of-the-century fixture that is manufactured to mount to the gas pipe stub. When I rewire, I will need to install a outlet box, most commonly a metal 4" octagon, for the cable to end in and to splice to the luminaire conductors. I've never tried using nonmetallic boxes, and drilling them is arguably outside their listing.

Al Hildenbrand
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard