ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 272 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#37283 04/23/04 06:27 PM
R
Ryan_J Offline OP
This is a video of a boom truck in an overhead line. Pretty interesting. I have dial-up internet here at the house, and it took me about 20 minutes to download. The file is about 5.5 Megabytes. Enjoy [Linked Image]

http://www.mikeholt.com/documents/mojofiles/BoomTruckinPowerLines.wmv

Ryan Jackson,
Salt Lake City
#37284 04/24/04 03:39 AM
Eerie stuff! A while back here in LA a newslady lost an arm & leg when they lifted their aerial into 4160V lines & she tried to get out of the newsvan! [Linked Image] [Linked Image]!
Any news if the crane operator survived this? The truck didn't fare too well! [Linked Image]

-Randy

PS.. I miss my dial up connection! 17 seconds to download on cable (T-1) [Linked Image]

#37285 04/24/04 09:56 AM
B
I wish I'd had that video when I had some dolt telling me that the rubber tires protected you from electrocution if a live-line hit your vehicle... Those rubber tires were passing so much current they were on fire!

Randy,

Had something like that happen in Alexandria when a WTTG news crew raised their mast into some 115kV transmission lines. [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Somehow, no one was killed, but it totally destroyed the truck.

-John

Edited because according to the link posted by Mbhydro the voltage was 115kV, not 230kV.

[This message has been edited by BigJohn (edited 04-25-2004).]

#37286 04/24/04 11:38 AM
Thanks Ryan,

We had a couple of these around somewhere awhile back. Electricity is an awesome thing, isn't it?

Here's a short clip of a switch opening:
http://www.themeterguy.com/Joslyn.mpg

Bill

Bill
#37287 04/24/04 01:59 PM
BigJohn...
take another look at the video... The metal pull out braces on the crane are whats doing the arcing...

The newslady I spoke about would've been ok if she'd stayed in the van... The rubber tires of the van WERE in fact insulating it from ground.. the fireworks were coming from the mast connecting all 3 phases together overhead... The newslady became injured when she stepped OUT of the van (one arm holding on the van as she stepped out, she became the path of least resistance!) [Linked Image] :sad:

Although the difference between 4160V & 230KV is monumental.. In her case it seems it would've helped.... I dunno about it being enough to insulate against 230KV..

-Randy

#37288 04/24/04 05:22 PM
D
One of the earliest videos I remember fro mthe Fire Service showed a chauffeur (the driver/operator of a ladder truck) climbing up the "stick" with just boots and a helmet, and coming into contact with some distribution lines.

He was on fire most of the way back down the ladder. IIRC, something like 25% 3rd degree and 30% 2nd degree burns.

The instructor used it to teach us two things-

1) When placing an aerial device, watch out for power lines.

2) When you're working at an emergency scene, use your protective clothing. It does you no good back in the station, or on the seat.

I'll try to post a link, if I can find the video online.

#37289 04/24/04 06:11 PM
Something I really contemplated was if we can have a "hotstick" (non-contact voltage indicator) why can't something similar be built into things that have potential to come into contact with power lines?!? TV newsvans could have one attached into their mast & transmitter that would sound & display an alert to the person operating the equiptment, along with preventing the mast from further elevation as long as the device was picking up EMF readings?

I'd love to get input on this being feasable or not [Linked Image]

-Randy

#37290 04/24/04 08:35 PM
M
Lostazhell, somebody has beaten you to the mast warning system for TV remote trucks. There are at least two companies that make such a system.

There is even an internet site for discussing such accidents and giving safety tips.

this link is a listing of known accidents from that site - most are masts in electric lines:
http://www.engsafety.com/safetypg2/Papers/Past-incidents/list.html

Link Copied to Clipboard