ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#3723 08/27/01 07:16 PM
R
Redsy Offline OP
The string in the "Violation from Sweden"
photos got me wondering--
I have always used Ideal COLORED wire nuts. The wide ranging beige "Wing Nut" seems appealing to simplify inventory, but I can't seem to break away from the colored ones. They just seem stronger. Any opinions.

#3724 08/27/01 09:06 PM
S
I have used, or tried to use , any brand i can get, including the tan jobs ( G&B?). Of late, I carry ideal #73 orange, Buchanan B-2's, and those big blues ( I think they are ideals) I find that this covers anything wirenutable is that a word?
[Linked Image]

Scotchlocks get two thumbs down...

#3725 08/27/01 10:12 PM
M
Haven't been able to find those Ideals up here. I use yellow, orange and blue marrettes. (The black ones have the #'s 31,33,35)

#3726 09/03/01 04:14 PM
B
Originally posted by sparky:
I have used, or tried to use , any brand i can get, including the tan jobs ( G&B?). Of late, I carry ideal #73 orange, Buchanan B-2's, and those big blues ( I think they are ideals) I find that this covers anything wirenutable is that a word?
[Linked Image]

I like it, 'wirenutable', interestingly enough is Buchannon is now made by Ideal, but I sorta got stuck on the Ideal tans and greys they are set up to be used with nutdrivers, 5/16 and 7/16, but reccently went back to the buchannon.
Does anyone remember the clear buchannons that had to be crimped and then inserted into the clear plastic jacket, they even made there own tool for it, now that was a pain.

#3727 09/03/01 05:19 PM
Tom Offline
Bordew,

Not only do I remember those, I still use them on State jobs that require a crimped connection.

I also use them, in a pinch (that's a pun, son) without the insulator on high temperature connections. I insulated them with glass cloth tape.

Speaking of high temperature connections. I've been noticing that many HID fixtures require connections rated for 150 C. Getting the wire isn't a problem, but my suppliers in this area don't stock wire nuts rated for this temperature. Anyone else having similar problems?

Tom

Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example.
#3728 09/04/01 01:15 PM
R
Originally posted by sparky:
[Linked Image]

We use scotchlocks red here, what are the problems you are having with them?

Link Copied to Clipboard