ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Ga76,
A license is important, and I wouldn't want to take away from the importance of having one. The important thing to have (as iwire noted) is insurance. Even the best electricians make mistakes. One bad joint could could cost you everything. I've done side work, and from time to time still do, but the thought, "lawsuit" is always on my mind. Good Luck.

"Georgia on my mind",
Doc

[This message has been edited by The Watt Doctor (edited 04-22-2004).]

The Watt Doctor
Altura Cogen
Channelview, TX
... Be wary,GA76Apprentice,...that some state boards will disqualify you from ever getting your licence if you are caught by an AHJ,and reported to the Electrical Board..I too,did my fair share of side work and took alot of chances...Just be careful,..normally, activities that consitute "repairs" do not fill the criteria for obtaining a permit..In some states,a homeowner of a SINGLE FAMILY DWELLING ONLY may obtain permits for work done to his/her house..then pass that work onto you if he/she is unable to do so..the work will still be inspected,so mind your P's and Q's..and BY ALL MEANS,if you're not sure of something,ask a professional,or pass on the job,it's not worth endangering persons or property for some week-end pin money..
Russ

.."if it ain't fixed,don't break it...call a Licensed Electrician"
J
It is an amazing thing watching apprentices go through the program. At the end of year #2, they think that they're practically journeymen, and can't wait to go solo; by the end of year #3, they are beginning to glimpse just how much more there is to the field!

The trade aside, running a business is an entirely different matter. Simply put, doing "side work" can be as much fun as having your ex pack your parachute! No license means they don't have to pay. Your boss thinks you're borrowing tools, stealing parts, etc.

Before I got my papers in order, I would only do small jobs, at no charge, for family, etc. I also made sure that my boss knew about all such work- I didn't want him to think I was undercutting him!

J
Ga76apprentice,

I don't know the in's and out's of the law or of your state requirements, but the institution of licensing accomplishes two things. To the pessimist, it's another opportunity for government to bleed more money from you. And to the optimist, it is an attempt to regulate and set standards of competency to protect people and property.

Let's consider the optimist's view on licensing, and not view it as a superficial means to fund government (considering the amount of money involved, that's a hard argument to make).

Some of the standards of licensing are to establish qualification and accountability. Being able to pass the exam and meet the requirements shows in one way or another you have the skill and knowledge to do what you claim to your customers that you can do, and do it in a way that is up to par with state or local standards (NEC).

If you are not licensed and you are doing work that your area's law requires you be licensed, then that is a pretty clear violation of the law. It gets a little fuzzy when you are allowed to work under a licensed electrician.

To me, I think it is a little different if you are an employee of a company. Your licensed boss or supervisor may or may not see all of the work you do. But as they see more and more of it they will begin to see your strengths and weaknesses, and note what types of things they need to double-check, and what specific points of an overall job need extra attention (tricky grounding situations etc.). There is an implied sense of accountability if you are backed by an established company that is licensed and insured.

But in my mind it is a little different if you are paying a fee to someone else to pull a permit for you. I don't think that is the same as the above situation and I don't think that was intended to be acceptable. But I could be wrong. I think the true test of shadiness is if you can be absolutely honest to everyone involved at all times. Tell the clerk as you pick up the permit, "by the way, the guy listed here as the licensed installer probably won't ever see this job, but I'm going to kick a few bucks his way for vouching for me." If they smile and tell you to have a great day, well I guess you have yourself a side job.

But in all seriousness, no matter what, don’t do any work unless you are insured. Working without insurance is grossly irresponsible and IMO, very slimy.

For the sake of transparency, before I was licensed I did side work, and after I was licensed I pulled permits for other guys. But 15 years into this (which I find out every day is still a lot greener than I used think) my feelings on the subject have changed. Part of growing up I guess.

G
GA76JW Offline OP
Well then,

Can I get insured without a license?

Is it possible to take the test for Master Electrician, even though I am still in an apprenticeship?

I have heard something about a partial license. Is anyone familiar with this?

I am just looking for a way to make some money to supplement my income. I did not think this topic would get so involved. I figured everyone did "side work" without insurance or a license. I hear guys at work talk about their "jobs" and I know for a fact none of them are insured. I do not want to take jobs from others at a lower rate. I am just trying to get to the same place everyone else wants to be....Financially stable and kinda happy.

Any help is appreciated and thanks for the replies. All has been evaluated and I will try to do the right thing for myself and family.

Philip

"If common sense was common, everyone would have it"-not sure, someone here

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard