ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
S
How do some of you mount the ceiling fans in dropped ceiling areas? I'll be securing my fan to the structual ceiling in a house, then the rod will be coming down through the suspended ceiling tile. Does anyone make a "fake canopy" that will fit over the rod as it comes through the ceiling tile, to give it a "finished look"?
If there was a way to secure it, I could probably use the one that comes with the fan, but then that would leave the fan box and the electrical connections exposed in the ceiling. Thanks for suggestions. Steve [Linked Image]

M
There is a fan rated box that has a t-grid bracket. I believe Caddy makes one. The box is mounted to the bracket via a clip that extends through the center knock out of the box and through the bracket. The clip has a hole that you can fasten a support tie to it. When mounted with a 1/2" mud ring the box is flush with the ceiling tile. If the fan is already mounted to the structure and the rod is passing through the ceiling tile I've seen the finish cover on the underside of the ceiling tile. It is then tightened snug against the tile. I don't believe this would be acceptible as it would leave the j-box wires exposed. Hope this helps.

Blessings. Mark

G
This is a good question and to expand on it how do you mount a fan to an existing ceiling box when the ceiling is existing drywall?

I
You rip the existing box out and install a new one.

This is not as bad as it seems there are some great products out there to do this and if your careful it can be done with no damage.

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
F
ok there are few options to deal with the celeing fan boxes for supensioned celeings ;

one: you can make the down rod longer [ this is not my favored useage because the viberation and fan will wobble more too]

two:
you can get the celeing fan box for the t grid i am sure few electrical supply some case big box store might have it. and make new box there and the bracket do sit on the t grid and have support cable go to the old ceiling and the old fan box if there you might have to get the extendstion ring for it and run new wire from the ring to new box.
[this is better route]

just make sure your fan is not less than 7 feet above the floor level.

merci , marc

Pas de problme,il marche n'est-ce pas?"(No problem, it works doesn't it?)

A
Well you can get the caddy or B-line T bar fan box or you can get creative. I have done both. The Caddy boxes were over $25 the last time i used one and a special order item around here. I have used strut and allthread to drop down but man is it time consuming.

I saw one company use a 2x2 piece of 3/4" plywood with a pancake box as a fan support. That seems quick and easy but it definately did not give the proper support for a fan. And i'm sure it will look nasty in year or two after gravity takes its toll.

J
I've done the 2x2 3/4 plywood before, except I brought pencil rod off of each corner. I also used 2x4 behind the box so that the screws could grab more than 3/4" of meat.

C
There is also a canopy for appearances- it slides on downrod with a set screw to hold in desired position. This would go on rod below ceiling tile, not replace the necessary cover at hanging box on originial ceiling. I'll try to find it 4 u. Can you use a 3/4" swivel hub cover for the 1900? Is that application "fan-rated"? That would free up the mfr's cover to adapt 4 your use.

S
"chi spark", I think I like your idea, if the canopies with the set screw can be found in the different colors that would match the ceiling fan. Probably the most used colors would be white, polished brass, and antique brass, though I know there are many more. If you know a company that makes these canopies, I would appreciate the info. As far as the down rod, yes I'll probably have to get a longer down rod, possibly a 12 inch or 18 inch. I won't need anything longer, because the ceiling is not going to be dropped very much. Thanks for all the input... Steve [Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard