ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/22/24 10:36 AM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 211 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#36926 04/20/04 11:26 PM
B
Trainwire—gotta’ ask—what size of wrench do you “customize” with your Zippo-Mega lighter?

["Zippo" image moved to https://www.electrical-contractor.net/ubb/Forum5/HTML/000522.html ]

[This message has been edited by Bjarney (edited 04-21-2004).]

#36927 04/21/04 12:32 AM
U
My company supplies all power tools and any specialty tools, so basic hand tools are all require for work.

I buy according to usage and abusage [Linked Image]

Anything I use frequently and properly is a Klein, Ideal, GB, Stanley, or Cooper Tools.

Tools I abuse and/or are essentially consumable will be from local discount tool stores. Most noteworthy are $2 "beater" flathead screwdrivers and $5 24oz. framing hammers.

#36928 04/21/04 12:46 AM
J
from my experience, I don't consider DeWalt to be a snobby tool to have. I would consider it to be average. Bosch is snobby. My brother has a bosch cordless that I think is very nice. Seems much more solid than my DeWalt 18V. I can't tell you how many 18V drills I've gone through. 4 maybe 5. The problem is one you have a kit and a bunch of batteries, your that much more commited to the brand and product line. So every time I burn one up, I go back and buy another.

Bosch makes very nice hammer drills too. I own a big one and a small one.

Chi, I too had to learn how to not lose tools (as I'm sure most have). I have always wondered what it would look like if one could gather all of the tools that have been left in the drop ceilings across this country (or around the world-[don't want to exclude the internationals, just my imagination isn't that big])

#36929 04/21/04 02:21 AM
B
OK, does the name Harbor Freight make you want to cry? I have owned one pair of linesmans that were not klien. Never again. I have a big roll around full of Snap On. Welders are Miller and Lincoln. I know and respect quality but I also have a bunch of stuff from Harbor Freight and the like. There are speciality items I use only occassionally. I have a 20 ton hydraulic press in the shop. I use it rarely but it is almost essential when I need it. It cost me 1/4 the price of an OTC press so I can afford to have it and let it sit a lot. With the use I give it, I'll likely pass it on to my kids. If it is a tool that is worth carrying in your pouch everyday, only the best will do. If its one you need every six months, maybe a Made in China version is all right. I'm not a tool snob but I try to buy intellegently. $20 for a single screwdriver may well be a good purchase as well as $3.95 for a 12 piece wrench set depending on the circustances. One thing to think about is the trend for everybody to offer a lifetime guarantee. Remember, that's the life of the company. Craftsman has been around 80 years or so. How stable is HD's Husky brand? Another smart option is to buy speciality items used. I don't need my .27 cal Hilti often but I paid less for the whole kit used than the new cost of the supplies that came with it. Money is too hard to come by to not spend it wisely.

#36930 04/21/04 01:35 PM
C
You can't go wrong with just about anything hanging on the wall behind the counter in a decent, reputable supply store.

Peter

Peter
#36931 04/21/04 02:17 PM
B
Just when I spout off about 'modifying' wrenches, Trainwire sent a pic of a few of his real "trainwrenches".

We don't dig the Zippo's out too often. Except when we are making major boiler parts it's like shooting a groundhog with an elephant gun. The oxyacetelyne torches make enough heat for most of the work. And we just restored a machine that will bend up to 5/8th boiler plate cold, so we use them even less.

The pictures are of some of the wrenches that we have made for various jobs. 2" to 7". The apparatus in the bottom of the pictures are the oxygen bottle racks for the Zippo's.

[Wrench image moved to https://www.electrical-contractor.net/ubb/Forum5/HTML/000522.html ]

[This message has been edited by Bjarney (edited 04-21-2004).]

#36932 04/21/04 07:06 PM
G
Well I learned my lesson early. I went to Wally World about 3 months ago and bought (what I thought was a good deal at the time) a Stanley 6 piece screwdriver set for a whole $2.50. I was beside myself at how cheap they were. I thought I hit the Gold mine. I got to work and showed everyone my new screwdrivers and how cheap they were. I used one of the Large Flatheads for a Whole 5 minutes before the tip broke. I was ticked off at that point.

Needless to say I still have 2 of those left from that 6 pack and they only get used to beat on things with. They are worthless crap. I say stick with the good stuff. At least some companies will replace if anything happens (besides beating [Linked Image] and theft)

If buying good quality tools is being a tool snob, then I will join the club.

"If common sense was common, everyone would have it"-not sure, someone here

#36933 04/23/04 12:15 AM
J
I use quality tols for most jobs, but with one difference...
My tools are usually a different brand, or a different model, than what everyone else has. I find that they are less likely to get mixed up with their tools!
I will get a POS generic tool if I'm not sure of the utility or need for the tool. If the tool prooves necessary, I will upgrade to a quality version.

#36934 04/23/04 03:30 AM
Doug,
If you take that angle on things.
Yes, I am a Tool-Snob!!
I use my tools to make a living and if they fail, it costs me money (directly or in-directly).
Years of working out in the rain on Overhead Lines has Taught me that cheap tools only make you wetter.
Bust a cheap set of pliers up a pole and you'll know what I mean. [Linked Image]

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard