ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 504 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#36916 04/19/04 01:08 AM
.. Yeah, I'd have to say that I'm a "tool snob". I was over at my sister-in-laws for dinner this weekend, and she had bought a light fixture from "Home Dopey",and although she didn't ask me to hang it for her, I insisted on doing so.When I realized I didn't have MY TOOLS,I was beside myself and asked her what tools she had...She then brought me out an old toolbox filled with her ex-husbands crappy tools...I meticulously looked through the box for something useful,and with each one I mumbled to myself that they were what I call.."Romper Room" tools,...meaning they are useless,and could be used as playthings by any innovative 4 year old...I hung the darn thing anyway, and wished I had MY TOOLS..
Russ

.."if it ain't fixed,don't break it...call a Licensed Electrician"
#36917 04/19/04 01:55 AM
I wouldn't necessarily call it being a tool snob... I'm just counting on my tools to get the job done! Especially since my office finds it amusing to send me on troubleshoots & installs that can be, at best, 100+ miles from the nearest "Home Desperation" I did manage to annoy my parts house by breaking not 1, but 4 of the Klein 10 in 1 screw drivers... (twice the #1 flat head broke, stripped out the hex drive on one, & somehow manage to jam the whole other one together as I couldn't swap tips) A hammer never touched the end of those either.. & once I literally busted off part of a pair of Klein "dykes" trimming a screw. [Linked Image] Something I'd never expect of that brand

I have some "basic" things like a couple #2 phillips & flat heads, a pair of GB strippers, & a pair of really old linemans I found in an attic I keep in my van in case I lose something here or there... I'll buy a new tool when I can & the generic goes back in storage..

But I do tend to stick with Klein, Ideal,& Greenlee for hand tools. Makita, Porter Cable, Hilti, De Walt & Bosch in the power tool department... Simply for the durability & dependability [Linked Image]

-Randy

PS.. I have a set of "Met-wrenches" I bought off an info-mercial probably better than 10 years ago... Still use 'em & they're still in great shape! Not ALL no-names are bad.. I can tell a good tool by holding & using it.. Regardless of who's name is on it! [Linked Image] But in general... We all know which names they'll be!

[This message has been edited by Lostazhell (edited 04-19-2004).]

#36918 04/19/04 05:56 PM
S
Professional tools make for professional jobs. Klein, Ideal and Dewalt for us.

Having said that, I do buy cheaper quality tools when I don't need the good ones. For example, I won't pay extra for the quality Klein needlenose pliers, when the storebrand needlenose works good enough for my purposes at a quarter of the cost.

#36919 04/19/04 06:53 PM
A
Klein, Vaco and Fluke only in my bag please. No exceptions.

#36920 04/20/04 12:03 AM
S
I check the joints most...then p!ss off the folks at the tool stores bye seeing how easy it is to bend them and such, or seeing if I can scratch it with my pocket knife. And I keep to the better nations for material...i.e. USA, Canada, Japan, Germany, and S O M E of the taiwan stuf is... o k . I look at shape too. the more rounded a structural corner is, the stronger it is, and less likely to break from stress fatigue. I've seen 2 pairs of klein linemans shear...though I suspect they are highly beaten tools. So brand doesn't make something last forever. Now I'd like to throw the cordless tool question into the mix! With so many brands changing so often...who do you support!?!? Brian

#36921 04/20/04 04:54 AM
P
Good quality tools really do make a difference. I still have some 40+ years old that I inherited from my father that are still going strong and in excellent shape.

When it comes to hand-tools, I try to stick to American, British, and German makes.

#36922 04/20/04 08:34 AM
E
Tools are self regulating. The cheap ones will break or fall apart, those that are quality (no matter the cost) will still be in your tool kit. So buy anything and everything, only the best will survive. (sounds like life).

Earl
#36923 04/20/04 11:24 AM
K
do any of you guys use metabo power tools?

#36924 04/20/04 01:06 PM
T
We have a fleet of 10 or so of the Metabo 4 and 5 inch grinders here in the fab shop. (see some of the pictures I've had posted in the past). Get the royal snot beat out of them. (running for 8 hours prepping welds etc.) Other than routine maintenance, they are worn out in about 5 to 7 years. Biggest fuss Ihave about them is they change model availability about every three years and parts don't interchange.

Edit to answer the original question. The shop is stocked with good stuff, Williams, Snap-On, Crescent. We do keep a supply of cheap Chinese stuff around, so you don't have to cut up and modify the 'spensive stuff. Our "tool czar" goes nuts if he sees you heating a Snap-On wrench to make it go around a corner. [Linked Image]
TW

[This message has been edited by Trainwire (edited 04-20-2004).]

#36925 04/20/04 05:04 PM
W
Tool Snob here and proud of it. Never met a tool I didn't like [Linked Image]. As far hand tools go, Snap On rules, Milwaukee makes good stuff so does Dewalt, I like both. Fluke Meters over anything else I've seen or used. Klein, Greenlee, Ideal work well from my experience.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard